Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
notebook 15-af066sa
My laptop began an automatic update and I’ve not been able to access it since. It’s stuck in a loop of attempting to update, then restores to my previous version of windows before restarting and repeating the process. I’ve tried letting it be for over an hour and nothing has changed. Online, i saw another user who faced the problem say that holding alt and pressing f12 should fix it and it never. I’m also unable to use the control panel to fix the issue as I can’t log in; I’m only able to **bleep** down and restart my laptop.
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @Erinthorns

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

Do you use Windows 8 or Windows 10 on this computer ?  The PC comes with Windows 8 originally but the symptoms you describe look more like Windows 10 to me. Please, confirm so that I can provide proper suggestions.

It looks like a software problem. However, I'd like to be sure and to exclude hardware issues.

Perform some basic hardware checks to rule out hardware problem

- Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)

- Power the computer back on.

As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

- Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JXUp43ahHA

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD (hard disk drive) and RAM check (memory check).

Let me know the test results. I'm looking forward to your update.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Hello,

Thank you for your fast response. I ran the system quick test and passed so I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. I’m 99% sure I have windows 10 but I’m not completely certain. What would you advise I do next?
HP Recommended

@Erinthorns wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for your fast response. I ran the system quick test and passed so I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. I’m 99% sure I have windows 10 but I’m not completely certain. What would you advise I do next?

Hi, ok, since the hardware diagnostics passed, this is a good sign. At least your hardware is functioning properly.

It appears to be the common issue of faulty Windows update or another update failure due to some 3rd party incompatible software. Since Windows upgrade failed, now you are left without an operating system and you will need to reinstall Windows from scrath (restore to initial factory default condition)

Since your PC originally came with Windows 8, there is a way to restore to Windows 8 [if you prefer].

- If you use Windows 10 now and if you prefer Windows 10 to Windows 8, then I will post instructions how to reinstall Windows 10 on this PC.

- If you decide for Windows 8, let me know.

- Also, if you decide you want to attempt data back up, let me know and I will post instructions.

Here is how to proceed with the Windows reinstallation / clean installation :

- You can directly download Windows 10 ISO from MS site or download >> Media creation tool from Microsoft site, create installation DVD or installation USB  and  proceed with clean installation/reinstallation.

Download:

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Make sure you select the proper version (32 or 64 bit / Home or Pro) 

Media Creation tool will always provide you with the latest Windows version/build - now 1709 Fall Creators Update.

- When download completes, you will need to write  the ISO image and boot from a bootable media. You will need a blank USB pendrive (min 4 GB capacity). Use the Media Creation tool.

When ready with the USB drive:

Please, shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert the Windows USB thumdrive prepared previously

Power on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, start hitting the Esc button repeatedly (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the USB thumb drive as a boot option.

- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 10. Perform clean installation/custom installation (not repair).

Delete all existing partitions and install Windows on Disc 0 Unallocated space

- After successful Windows installation, install drivers taken from HP web site or via Windows Update/Device Manager >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

- Make sure Windows is Activated by going to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Activation

- You may wish to stop some of the Windows Telemetry by using free tools such as Spybot AntiBeacon or DWS Lite

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I am running Windows 10 and like to resume using it.  Also, how do I save my data?   I've been in this "retoring to previous version" loop for several days now.  

HP Recommended

Hi @duncan1745

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

Could you post your full HP product model and product number (p/n) - it is important for me to know some of the specifics of your computer - here is how to find it >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Instructions how to reinstall Windows 10 can be found above in this thread.

Here are some instructions with options to access the data stored on the HDD - they are generic and I cannot guarantee it will work but you can give them a try:

You will need :

- either 1 empty/blank USB thumb drive   OR  1 empty/blank DVD disk

- Linux based operating system - free to download - e.g. Ubuntu or Linux Mint

You can directly download Ubuntu Desktop from Ubuntu's web site:

Download the x64 ISO > https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Once ready, you need to write the ISO to make a bootable media (e.g. bootable DVD or USB drive). Here is how:

** How to create bootable ISO on USB device >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

or

** How to write ISO to DVD >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

Next step - configurations - when ready with the USB drive or with the DVD:

* Enter BIOS (F10)

* Ensure Secure Boot is disabled  (if applicable for your model)

* Ensure Legacy mode is enabled (if applicable for your model)

* Save the UEFI/BIOS changes.

(if applicable for your model) Details>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

Eventually, please, shutdown the computer using the power button (press and hold for 5-10 seconds)

Insert the Ubuntu USB thumdrive or the Ubuntu DVD prepared previously

Power on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, begin hitting the Esc button repeatedly before any logo appears (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the thumb drive (or the DVD) as boot option.

Follow the on-screen instructions to run Ubuntu (do not install it but just try it).

Ubuntu should load. You can try to see if it will be able to mount your existing HDD/SSD by opening it's file manager. If possible, you may be able to browse your files and copy what is necessary to a online Cloud storage service or to another device.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Nice. Use another operating system to fix this one. Great one HP. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.