Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14 ce0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Upon startup this morning my Pavilion did something I’ve never seen a computer do – attempt to automatically launch a BIOS update (to v 3.9.0.0). This happened along with a Window 10 update.

In the Support Assistant, my chosen setting is “Check for updates, but let me choose which updates to download and install.” It is NOT set for automatic updates.

Please advise – how and why could this possibly happen?

On the automated BIOS update screen, I had 3 options -- Apply Update, Cancel Update, Postpone Update. Twice I selected "Cancel," but the laptop cycled back to the BIOS update screen. Then I tried “Postpone" ... from there Windows 10 continued its update process and I was able to log in as usual.

Now I’ve changed Support Assistant Settings to “Never Check for Updates" – is that going to prevent recurrence?

This is troubling. Why is HP forcing a BIOS update on me? I do not want a BIOS update. The last time I did a BIOS update 8 years ago, it bricked an IBM laptop – ruined.

Oddly, an update to BIOS 3.9.0.0. is not even listed as an available update in Support Assistant. Also strange, only two potential updates are listed -- how could that be when the last time I manually installed an HP update was 2019?? It’s as if no updates were made available in all of 2020?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mark2412

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

If you selected Check for updates, but let me decide whether to download and install them as your Windows Update setting, then follow these steps to choose which updates to download and install.

1. On the Windows Update screen, click one of the links under Download and install updates.

Figure: Selecting windows updates

Selecting manual updates in windows update.
  2. In Select updates to install, right-click each update you do not want to install, and then click Hide Update. Hidden updates will not be downloaded or installed.

Figure : Hide update

hiding windows updates
  3. When you have removed all the updates except those that you want to install, go back to Windows Update, and then click Install Updates.

Figure : Install Updates

Install updates button in windows update.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Echo_Lake but it seems you're showing workflow and screenshots for Window 8.1 (per lower left of screenshots), back when Windows updates were available via Control Panel (also visible in your screenshots).

Didn't that change with Windows 10 so that updates are no longer managed via Control Panel, but through the dedicated Windows Update app...? I'm on Windows 10 as noted in my post.

Anyhow, I'm not seeing any Windows Update functionality in Control Panel. And in the Windows Update app, I'm not seeing "select update" functionality as you describe and depict.

Any other ideas? I'm really concerned that the BIOS is going to try to auto-update again though I've selected "Never check for updates" in the HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

@Mark2412

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts, it's the same procedure for both Windows 10 and 8 OS. 
I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:
www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.