Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Ultrabook 4
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Computer was working fine. Did a factory reset which it never completed after 24 hours it was stuck on 3%. Now it will not do anything except show a black screen saying "Boot Device Not Found. Please install Operating System on your hard disk. F2 System Diagnostics".

I cannot get past this screen to do anything. Tried the F10 key and also Esc right at power on stage then get a small menu. When I select any option it brings me right back to the same black screen error page.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @RaineLark 

Welcome !

You face this message "Boot Device Not Found" because your Windows recovery/reset has failed. You are left with no operating system running , you have no Windows operational.

There are two reasons for the recovery/reset to fail:

- Hardware issue (usually HDD problem)

or

- Corrupted recovery partition (happens frequently due to some Windows updates)

In order to rule out why your reset failed, please test your hardware using the built-in mechanism from BIOS/UEFI -> F2 button -> here is how >>>>> https://www.supportvideos.ext.hp.com/detail/video/4330525144001/running-hardware-diagnostic-tests-us...

Perform quick/fast or run-in test, whatever is available.  Let me know the results.

Also, let me know if Windows 8.1 is the Windows version you want to restore on this device

Looking forward to your reply

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hello!

Thank you for the instructions. The laptop will not let me perform any functuon. It continues to default  to black error screen. It won't let me choose F2.

Yes, Windows 8 was the original operating system installed.

HP Recommended

@RaineLark wrote:

Hello!

Thank you for the instructions. The laptop will not let me perform any functuon. It continues to default  to black error screen. It won't let me choose F2..

You are welcome.

• Press and hold the power-off button, and hold it for 5-6 seconds until the device powers off completely
  • Wait for a while and then...
  • press the power-on button once to start the PC.... but
  • immediately begin hitting the Esc button repeatedly (like tap-tap-tap)
  • HP Start up menu should open
  • Eventually, hit F2 to enter Hardware diagnostics.

If necessary repeat the procedure above until HP Start up menu appears.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I had the same issue but was able to run the F2 diagnostics and all test passed (including the full disk check). What are my options for recovering the files on the laptop and then reformatting it?

HP Recommended

I was finally able to run the F2 Diagnostics.  It passed both tests for the Hard Drive.  The error screen continues to say Boot Device Not Found and asks to install an operating system. It was Windows 8. How do I get it to find the files or get it re-installed?

HP Recommended

I was finally able to run the F2 Diagnostics.  It passed both tests for the Hard Drive.  The error screen continues to say Boot Device Not Found and asks to install an operating system. It was Windows 8. How do I get it to find the files or get it re-installed?

Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.