Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-dy2xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I noticed that, after closing the lid and leaving the PC overnight, it was very hot to the touch the next day, and acted as if it had not been to sleep (did not require me typing the password, power LED on, not blinking). I looked into the power settings and checked that closing the lid puts the laptop to sleep and hibernate is disabled. BIOS offers no options regarding power options. After some further experimenting, I noticed that, if I unplug the laptop when in the so-called "sleeping" state, it goes into sleep for real. However, after some time (between 2 and 4 hours, not completely sure), if I go to turn it back on, it appears to have completely shut down or gone into hibernation (the power LED is no longer blinking either). AFAIK, hibernating offloads all info stored in the RAM onto the SSD, thus reducing its life, so I would like to avoid that.
Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there any way to fix it? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Microsoft went and modified the way sleep works in Windows 10 2004 edition and up and it's causing grief on many laptops around the world. You can Google search for: windows 10 sleep mode s3  

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Useful-Life-Hack-How-to-Disable-Modern-Standby-Connected-Standby.45312...

On the Dell laptops that I had, I had to change Power settings from Sleep to Hibernate when plugged in and the lid closes. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply! Does hibernating not affect the lifespan of the laptop's SSD, or is it poorly programmed and it actually goes to sleep instead of hibernating?

HP Recommended

Good Question,

I have never looked into Hibernating and SSD lifespan.

Please let me know what you find out.

WinnipegNick

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.