Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-ba004ax
Linux

Dear Sir,

I had bought this HP 15-ba004ax and already install with ubuntu 16.10 LTS. my question, did HP has any driver for linux and windows 7 support ?

because AFAIK, customer should have any option for installing OS.

my problem while using ubuntu 16.10 LTS :

1. overheat, my fan keep fast running and made my battery drain is fast

2. ubuntu 16.10 LTS could not be hibernate

3. synaptic touchpad must had little hacked to working

4. amd r7 m440 couldn't detected

5. compare with my smartphone for using wifi (hidden and public), on my smartphone wifi signal was fully, but while using 15-ba004ax, it seems wifi public doesn't show up

6. using my smartphone as tethering, wifi signal detected only 1 bar.

also i have any question about, if i'm using windows 10 as HP recommended, i had search that HP didn't come with stable driver, because on support and driver for realtek, i've found that HP give 2 option. vga card has 4 option (which one should i choose ?)

I'm wait feedback from HP

thanks a lot

Best regards

Anton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@qlixes wrote:

Dear Sir,

I had bought this HP 15-ba004ax and already install with ubuntu 16.10 LTS. my question, did HP has any driver for linux and windows 7 support ?

5. compare with my smartphone for using wifi (hidden and public), on my smartphone wifi signal was fully, but while using 15-ba004ax, it seems wifi public doesn't show up

also i have any question about, if i'm using windows 10 as HP recommended, i had search that HP didn't come with stable driver, because on support and driver for realtek, i've found that HP give 2 option. vga card has 4 option (which one should i choose ?)

thanks a lot

Best regards

Anton

Hi,

Try a different linux distro such as Debian or Mint. Both have a better hardware support than Ubuntu as I have used all three. Now on Debian for a couple of years and dropped Ubuntu a long time ago. Sabayon linux is also a decent distro (installs both vga drivers AMD/nVidia by default and no need to install them later). Basically once you use the same desktop environment the GUI is almost the same. I use Gnome Classic btw.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @qlixes / Anton,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome !

This is the official HP forum but it is also full of HP users, partners and enthusiasts. You may come across HP employees here but note that you do not speak to HP officially here.

With regards to your post and issues, here are my comments:

Ubuntu 16.10 is not LTS - is not long term release. Ubuntu 16.04 is the long term support release (stable release).

Latest can be obtained from here >> http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/

Ubuntu 16.10 is a short term testing release and is no longer supported - its support ended July 2017.

Windows 7 support is not officially supported - only Windows 10, therefore you cannot find drivers for W 7 officially.

Also, you cannot find drivers for Linux from HP the standard way you expect because Linux drivers are not distributed separately like it is in Windows. In GNU/Linux based operating systems like Ubuntu (and any other), the drivers are part of the OS kernel. They are built-into the kernel and are not installed separately usually. Here is more info :

>> https://www.howtogeek.com/213488/how-to-install-hardware-drivers-on-linux/

>> https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31632/what-is-the-linux-kernel-and-what-does-it-do/

If you want to try GNU/Linux OS, try Ubuntu LTS 16.04 or try Linux Mint (LM is based on Debian and Ubuntu). User long term releases only. Post over the Ubuntu or LM forums for more assistance or issues with Linux itself.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry, i'm using 16.04 LTS.

but i'm thought sadly because HP couldn't join to build kernel driver on linux.

i'm sure if HP could join together with linux community, it'll increase HP trust worthy.

because HP is my first notebook i've had.

from elementary OS, arch linux, and ubuntu, all OS is amazing than windows.

i've chosen this notebook because some review about game DOTA2, is best starter to play.

if HP couldn't release any linux support for any amazing game, it's pretty sadly 😄

but i've understand all about it.

i hope HP product kept increase quality and linux support community for update any firmware, BIOS loader etc.

Thanks a lot

best regards,

Anton

HP Recommended

@qlixes wrote:

Dear Sir,

thanks a lot

Best regards

Anton

Hi,

Try a different linux distro such as Debian or Mint. Both have a better hardware support than Ubuntu as I have used all three. Now on Debian for a couple of years and dropped Ubuntu a long time ago. Sabayon linux is also a decent distro (installs both vga drivers AMD/nVidia by default and no need to install them later). Basically once you use the same desktop environment the GUI is almost the same. I use Gnome Classic btw.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

@qlixes wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry, i'm using 16.04 LTS.

but i'm thought sadly because HP couldn't join to build kernel driver on linux.

i'm sure if HP could join together with linux community, it'll increase HP trust worthy.

because HP is my first notebook i've had.

from elementary OS, arch linux, and ubuntu, all OS is amazing than windows.

i've chosen this notebook because some review about game DOTA2, is best starter to play.

if HP couldn't release any linux support for any amazing game, it's pretty sadly 😄

but i've understand all about it.

i hope HP product kept increase quality and linux support community for update any firmware, BIOS loader etc.

Thanks a lot

best regards,

Anton

Hi Anton @qlixes

Thank you for the clarifications.

HP does not officially provide assistance and support for Linux-based distros the same was as they work with Microsoft but this does not mean HP has no Linux support at all. For example:

- HP printers have the best GNU/Linux support among the competition. Check in the Linux communities and most will recommend HP because of the better support for Linux than other printer brands. HP is the way to go when it comes to printers, scanners and Linux. Also check this > http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/about.html

- There are certain models that are certified by Canonical (Ubuntu's vendor) and HP to be compatible in general with Ubuntu > https://certification.ubuntu.com/certification/make/HP/

For example, last year I used (notebook) HP Elitebook 820 G2 and it was possible to order it with Ubuntu 14.04 preinstalled.

- HP's (HP Inc) sister company Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) have support for various Linux distros for servers >> http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/ubuntu.aspx

All the HP laptops I have used in the past years have had excellent GNU/Linux support and none of them caused me problems.

If you notice some issues, try different distro, try different kernel. For newbies in the Linux world, Linux Mint is the way to go. It is based on Debian and Ubuntu and has better user interface, is easier to use and easier to update. You may also test with different kernel versions (e.g. 4.4 , 4.8, 4.10, etc...)  Ubuntu 16.04 LTS comes with kernel 4.4 by default - 4.4. is the Long Term Support kernel.

With regards to your comment "if HP couldn't release any linux support for any amazing game, it's pretty sadly" - there is nothing so special for HP to release - in the Linux world, things work differently. It's Linus Torvalds, Kernel org and various contributors who run this. Then, the disto's vendors can use the kernel, modify it, etc....

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.