Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x2 detachable PC 1
Windows 8

I have just bought this lkaptop and the hardware is nice, but I do not want to run Windows. Simple, I thought, as it's a PC, I'll just install Ubuntu. Well, the boot from USB is UEFI and that is a bit of a pain to set up, and I can't get it to work. The Ubuntu 14 install disk I burnt is an EFI boot CD and it simply fails to boot. Using the F9 option I get aBoot device failed message in white text on a blue screen.

When I try to boot through the boot menus I get a missing file at \ubuntu\winboot\.

I have just created a Windows recovery disk and that seems to boot fine. It looks like the BIOS/UEFI is set up to only allow Windows to boot.

I've bought a USB DVD drive and failed to boot from that, also two memory sticks and a HDD.

So, questions, before I put the laptop in the bin:

1. Has anyone else got Linux onto this device and if so what image and procedure did you use to get the install to work?

2 Is there a way to get legacy mode booting set up in the BIOS (The BIOS mentions legacy support in the screens but its not there).

Andrew

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

It seems that the hp x2 has a 32 bit uefi. So you'll need a 32bit uefi boot loader.

Most distros I've seen just ship the 64 bit bootloader.

There's a guy at debian who is trying to support this kind of thing - He's working on a netinst image for deb8. The current image he's published so far boots, but I can't get networking to work.

Here's his blog (other good stuff there):

http://blog.einval.com/debian/CDs

Here's the deb image:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/efi-development/jessie-upload3.Hth /markus

HP Recommended

I have the same issue trying to get Ubuntu/Lubuntu loaded.

I thought it was me, but...

I checked out the Debian guy's (Steve) work, but cannot afford the 3.7G download via mobile data.
(It was hard enought justifying 1G for Ubuntu.) 

Alfredo

HP Recommended

Did any of you get linux installed on your HP Pavilion x2 10?

Any news?

I'm very interested on this product, but only if linux can be installed on it.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I have ArchLinux running on it. However, I had to boot into Ubuntu (I used 16.04 beta) using a Live USB and then installed Arch from within there. You need to select Grub as bootloaded, otherwise the systems crashes. There are 2 downsides however: 1st no battery status is displayed (like in Ubuntu) and 2nd no soundcard is detected by the kernel. Thus there is no sound available.

HP Recommended

I have Fedora 23 working on this machine now (with some initial difficulty).

You can read some of the details here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=308661

Essentially, the short of it is, Fedora 23 x86_64 installed with 64bit DVD (64bit bootloader hasn't been a problem, don't ask me why). I posted this message from the machine using the detachable keyboard on  my home Wifi. Bluetooth, Touchscreen, Detachable Touchpad also working. Sound, SD Card Slot, Power Management don't work as of yet.

Would love to know if someone gets sound working!

HP Recommended
I got Ubuntu 16.04.1 running on it, and this works quite well. (Had to create a custom USB bootstick, described here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/392719/32-bit-uefi-boot-support). Also no luck for sound. Power mgmt. works partly: Suspend or hibernate do halt the system and blank the screen, but fail to turn it off. The system does not respond to the power button or any other than the upper "volume" button (sic!), which wakes it up. The SD card reader works out of the box here. (For extfat formatted SD cards, which will be almost all of them, had to install exfat-fuse and exfat-utils packages).
HP Recommended

Xubuntu and  the latest Mint Mate both work well.  I can't get the sound card working

HP Recommended

Hi @Halyyon41,

Welcome to the HP Forum! 🙂 It is a fantastic site to find information, tips, and suggestions. For you to have the most rewarding experience please review the HP Forums Guide. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More 

HP does not support Linux, and it is out of my area of expertise. If you do a web search for install Ubuntu on a Window computer to find assistance. Here is a link to HP PCs - Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS to aid with changing the boot order.  Here is a link to HP PCs - Frequently Asked Questions About Linux (FAQs) I was able to locate this which may help. but again it is not supported by HP and you would use it at your own risk.  Xubuntu Install how-to (from sites.google.com/site/xubuntuintsallhowto/get-it). Should you have further queries please refer them to xubuntu Help & Support.

Good Luck!

To express appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs Up Icon.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you!

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.