Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP victus 16-s0155ng

Hello,

I have recently bought a hp victus 16-s0155ng laptop that comes without an operating system. I have made a Windows 11 usb from the official Microsoft Windows 11 download page.

When the setup process begins I get this message "A media driver your computer needs is missing".

I have tried different USB sticks and all the USB ports on the laptop but with no success. I have also tried to download all the driver files from the support page for my specific laptop, put them on another USB, but the setup doesn't recognize them.

A lot of the solutions online are talking about some Intel Raid storage driver, however my laptop has an AMD cpu.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @RealPower2Maps,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The "A media driver your computer needs is missing" error during Windows installation can be tricky, but here are some steps you can try to resolve it.

Check USB Ports and Sticks: Although you've tried different USB sticks and ports, ensure you're using USB 2.0 ports for the installation as USB 3.0 ports can sometimes cause issues. Also, make sure the USB drive with the Windows installation media is properly formatted and correctly created.

Verify Installation Media: Make sure the Windows 11 USB installation media is correctly created. Use the official Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create a new installation USB if necessary.

Update BIOS: Check if there is a BIOS update available for your HP Victus 16 laptop on the HP support site. Updating the BIOS can sometimes resolve hardware compatibility issues during installation.

Change BIOS Settings:

• Disable Fast Boot: Enter BIOS/UEFI settings (usually by pressing F2, F10, ESC, or DEL during startup) and disable Fast Boot.
  • Change SATA Mode: Even though your laptop has an AMD CPU, changing the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI might help. Look for the SATA Configuration section in the BIOS and try switching to AHCI.

Load Drivers Manually:

• Download the necessary storage or chipset drivers from the HP support page specific to your laptop model. Even though your laptop uses an AMD CPU, you might need the AMD chipset drivers or storage controllers.
  • During the Windows installation process, when prompted for drivers, use the "Load Driver" option and point to the USB stick with the downloaded drivers.

Check for Driver Compatibility: Sometimes, driver compatibility issues can occur. Make sure the drivers you downloaded are for Windows 11 and compatible with your laptop's hardware.

Try a Different USB Creation Method: Use tools like Rufus or the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to create the installation media. Ensure that you select the correct partition scheme (GPT for UEFI) and file system (NTFS).

Reset BIOS to Default Settings: Sometimes, resetting the BIOS to its default settings can resolve driver issues.

If you've tried all these steps and still encounter the problem, there might be a deeper compatibility issue or a hardware fault.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @RealPower2Maps,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The "A media driver your computer needs is missing" error during Windows installation can be tricky, but here are some steps you can try to resolve it.

Check USB Ports and Sticks: Although you've tried different USB sticks and ports, ensure you're using USB 2.0 ports for the installation as USB 3.0 ports can sometimes cause issues. Also, make sure the USB drive with the Windows installation media is properly formatted and correctly created.

Verify Installation Media: Make sure the Windows 11 USB installation media is correctly created. Use the official Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create a new installation USB if necessary.

Update BIOS: Check if there is a BIOS update available for your HP Victus 16 laptop on the HP support site. Updating the BIOS can sometimes resolve hardware compatibility issues during installation.

Change BIOS Settings:

• Disable Fast Boot: Enter BIOS/UEFI settings (usually by pressing F2, F10, ESC, or DEL during startup) and disable Fast Boot.
  • Change SATA Mode: Even though your laptop has an AMD CPU, changing the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI might help. Look for the SATA Configuration section in the BIOS and try switching to AHCI.

Load Drivers Manually:

• Download the necessary storage or chipset drivers from the HP support page specific to your laptop model. Even though your laptop uses an AMD CPU, you might need the AMD chipset drivers or storage controllers.
  • During the Windows installation process, when prompted for drivers, use the "Load Driver" option and point to the USB stick with the downloaded drivers.

Check for Driver Compatibility: Sometimes, driver compatibility issues can occur. Make sure the drivers you downloaded are for Windows 11 and compatible with your laptop's hardware.

Try a Different USB Creation Method: Use tools like Rufus or the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to create the installation media. Ensure that you select the correct partition scheme (GPT for UEFI) and file system (NTFS).

Reset BIOS to Default Settings: Sometimes, resetting the BIOS to its default settings can resolve driver issues.

If you've tried all these steps and still encounter the problem, there might be a deeper compatibility issue or a hardware fault.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you!!

Burning the ISO via Rufus fixed the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.