Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 4730s
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi everyone!

A few days ago, I got an error message that my Base System Device and an Unidentified Device no longer have drivers installed for them (Code 28). This might have occurred after my latest Windows Update, but I'm not too sure. When I try to update the drivers from the Device Manager for each device, Windows can't find a driver for the device.

Here are the devices that are affected (not sure if you need the Hardware IDs, but I've included them):

Base System Device
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2392&SUBSYS_167C103C&REV_30
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2392&SUBSYS_167C103C
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2392&CC_088000
PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2392&CC_0880

Unidentified Device
USB\VID_138A&PID_003C&REV_0086
USB\VID_138A&PID_003C

Not sure if it's also related, but my Standard VGA Graphics Adapter is also having similar problem and can't start (Code 10):

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&SUBSYS_167D103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&SUBSYS_167D103C
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&CC_0300

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I've seen that I can download drivers from the HP site, but I'm not really sure which ones I need to download. Some people recommend downloading the chipset, network, audio and media card drivers for my laptop to try to solve the problem.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5060894&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4058

I can compare the drivers with the device names in the Device Manager, if that's the best way to go about it. I just wanted some advice about the best thing to do.

I have some software knowledge, but I don't mess with hardware much, so replies in layman's terms would be greatly appreciated! 😉

Thanks for your time. If you need some more info about my ProBook, just let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need these drivers...

Base System Device:

The JMicron Media Card Reader Driver enables the integrated media card slot in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp60501-61000/sp60769.exe

Unidentified Device:

This package contains the driver that enables the Validity Fingerprint Sensor in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The fingerprint sensor scans fingerprints for use with biometric security applications.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59624.exe

Standard VGA Graphics Adapter:

This package provides the AMD video drivers, Control Panel and HD audio driver for supported notebooks that are running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55501-56000/sp55947.exe

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need these drivers...

Base System Device:

The JMicron Media Card Reader Driver enables the integrated media card slot in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp60501-61000/sp60769.exe

Unidentified Device:

This package contains the driver that enables the Validity Fingerprint Sensor in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The fingerprint sensor scans fingerprints for use with biometric security applications.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59501-60000/sp59624.exe

Standard VGA Graphics Adapter:

This package provides the AMD video drivers, Control Panel and HD audio driver for supported notebooks that are running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55501-56000/sp55947.exe

HP Recommended

Brilliant! Thanks, Paul_Tikkanen! The JMicron Media Card Reader Driver and the Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver did the trick! 😄

I'm having a bit of a weird problem downloading the AMD video driver package though. It starts downloading, gets to 324 of 324 MB and then gets a "Failed - Network Error" message. I've tried wireless, plugged an ethernet cable into the laptop, reset the modem and done multiple downloads, but it won't complete. Not sure if that's an error on my side or not. I've tried downloading from the ftp link you gave me and from the HP site. Neither seem to work for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help with the other two!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The graphics driver downloads fine for me, so what I have done is zipped it up and uploaded it to my Skydrive folder and shared a link to that folder with you below.

Download and unzip the file labeled sp55947.

Hopefully, you will be able to get it from there.

HP Recommended

Wow, thank you so much for doing that! Downloaded and installed! All problems solved! 😄

Thanks for your expertise and kindness!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.