Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

That's a good explination actually with the motherboard issue likely. I'd assume all the motherboards are exactly the same with the exception of the what file is flashed to the BIOS. Here's hoping I can get through to someone today and get this resolved for them. Thank you again for the assistance.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, if you look at chapter 3, pp 23-24 of the 15t-j000 service manual, you will see the list of motherboards and they are listed with or without Windows, and by Windows 8 versions, so the keys are definitely placed in the BIOS' of select system boards.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03733656

It is not out of the realm of possibility that the wrong motherboard was installed in that model, the OS preactivated and when you went to do a system recovery, that wouldn't work due to the lack of the W8 product key that should have been in the BIOS.

Good luck.  I hope that HP resolves this matter to your satisfaction.

HP Recommended

Just wanted to follow up there was a miss in communications and someone sent a recovery media usb out before talking to me. I anticipated that this wouldn't resolve the issue since the recovery media should be getting the key from the BIOS. After 3 hours of recovery it was in the same state as before unable to activate due to no key. So if anyone else does run into this issue be aware that a recovery disk will not solve your problem.

The support agent who did get a hold of me to let me know it was coming today was great however and he pre scheduled a follow up call for tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully will be able to finally get this resolved once I can explain the issue to someone.

HP Recommended

Yes, you are correct.

No W8 recovery media set is going to work without the OEM product key in the BIOS.

Hopefully, you will be able to make him understand your dilemma.

They need to give you a W8 OEM product key that you can enter and activate Windows with.

Either that or replace the motherboard with one that has a product key in the BIOS.

I would think it would be cheaper and easier to do the former.

HP Recommended

Got a follow up from support earlier. New key was issued everything is great now. Going to print a custom label and attach it to the battery compartment.

HP Recommended

That is great news, and a good idea to print out the key and attach it underneath the battery.

Glad to know that HP came through on this for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.