Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProBook 440
Linux

I have a brand new Probook 440 here without preinstalled OS. The plan is to partition the the 256GB drive and install Linux Mint 19.3. as sole OS.

I have installed Linux several times before, but never on UEFI hardware.

When I start the installation routine and it comes to partitioning, there is already a 512MB Fat partition and a 4GB Debian partition along with a small Swap. I have no good idea what this Debian partition is doing there...?

When I create new partitions for Linux Mint (root, home, swap) I get an error message stating EFI partition is missing.

To solve this  I think, from what I have read so far, I have two options: Create a new EFI partition, or disable secure boot.

I would appreciate any hints and advice on this, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks! In fact there are no issues with installing major Linux flavors like Ubuntu, Suse, Mint  on many HP ProBooks. Didn't encounter any driver problems, even without using any proprietary drivers at all. Also I would be rather surprised if on this forum there are no users working with Linux as sole OS or in dual boot with windows.

My question concerns installation and partitioning and as such is not even really Linux specific, but would also pertain to a windows install on a ProBook without preinstalled OS.

I have however solved the problem. Basically this ProBook had Freedos preinstalled, which is HP's way of selling ProBooks "without" OS, apparently. So that's why the main drive comes with a Debian and a Fat partition.

What I have done is leave those existing partitions alone, and install Linux (MInt) alongside. So I created additional partitions, in my case a /home and a / partition as well as a swap area, PLUS a small (512MB) EFI partition flagged as boot.

Creating the /home and root partitions of course is optional, but the EFI partition is mandatory, I suppose.

Hope this helps somebody else.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@jojesse 

I'm sorry, but we here are not equipped to provide detailed Linux support.

The primary "challenge" to using Linux on any HP PC is the availability of Linux drivers. Any hardware that does not work will then range from simple (if there are Linux drivers available) to impossible (if there are NO Linux drivers available) to fix.

Since HP does not provide Linux drivers, your best bet for Linux support is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using -- in this case, the Linux Mint Forums: http://forums.linuxmint.com/index.php?sid=e1d864fe510e562a3fca15f38c93b95a

Folks on Linux support forums have experience using a variety of machines with Linux and know a lot about driver and installation issues. You will be able to get sound and detailed help there.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks! In fact there are no issues with installing major Linux flavors like Ubuntu, Suse, Mint  on many HP ProBooks. Didn't encounter any driver problems, even without using any proprietary drivers at all. Also I would be rather surprised if on this forum there are no users working with Linux as sole OS or in dual boot with windows.

My question concerns installation and partitioning and as such is not even really Linux specific, but would also pertain to a windows install on a ProBook without preinstalled OS.

I have however solved the problem. Basically this ProBook had Freedos preinstalled, which is HP's way of selling ProBooks "without" OS, apparently. So that's why the main drive comes with a Debian and a Fat partition.

What I have done is leave those existing partitions alone, and install Linux (MInt) alongside. So I created additional partitions, in my case a /home and a / partition as well as a swap area, PLUS a small (512MB) EFI partition flagged as boot.

Creating the /home and root partitions of course is optional, but the EFI partition is mandatory, I suppose.

Hope this helps somebody else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.