Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-ae000 x360 Convertible PC - 1WU64AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After Win 10 1809 update the trackpad stopped working. I cannot move the curser and if I click the trackpad it only right clicks. I can use an extrernal USB mouse but even that is spotty sometimes and the mouse dont register all clicks, it is like the PC is thinking and suddendly it works again. Same with touching the screen, the screen register the finger tab but it is not consistent in taking action ie. closing a window by hitting "X".  The settings in Synaptics seem weird and sometimes non responsive.

I tried:

- Checked for any other Win 10 updates

- Did all updates in "HP Support Assistant" - there was a few. Restarted several times.

- Turn the trackpad on and off in Synaptics.

- Double click top left corner on trackpad to enable/disable.

- Deleted the trackpad in Device Manager and let Win install a new driver. It does not work (19.3.31.31 not sure what revision, a,b,c)

- Deleted the trackpad  in Deveice Manager and installed the latest driver I could find. Does not work at all. (19.3.31.31 Rev.C). November 2018 It also says specifically 1803 on HPs website. There are also a few 2017 drivers but the system says its old when trying.

I'm running out of options. I have a suspection that the 360 degree setup might be confused to it turns off the mouse because it thinks it is in another "mode" but its not in tablet mode.

Any input?

Otherwise I'll roll back Win10.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Jungstarrock,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post that you're having issues with the touchpad not working after the recent update. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

Splendid effort and fabulous description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score.  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 

As you have performed all possible troubleshooting steps such as updating the drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling it and nothing has helped to resolve this issue. 

In this scenario, I would suggest here is to Run a test on the touchpad from F2(Please remember to capture the failure ID for further assistance).

If the test fails, then this could be a possible hardware failure. 

If the test passes, I would suggest here is to perform a system reset on your PC. For more details, please follow this link: HP PCs - Resetting Your Computer (Windows 10)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet, I uninstalled the 1809 Windows update and it worked. However, Win10 keep auto-installing the Update. 

There is no hardware issue. 

Honestly, HP instructing you to recommend a full PC reset is disrespectful of customers time, and time is money - that is like saying "we don't know the answer, but there is a solution that will take 3 hours of your time". 

What is the correct trackpad driver for win 1809? It really should just be that. 

Oscar

HP Recommended

@Jungstarrock

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

I understand your concerns and frustration

I have sent you a private message with the next course of action

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had the exact same problem. This fixed it:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/aft1cn/got_precison_touchpad_working_again_1803_x360_and...

It wasn't the windows update, it was the new drivers that came with it.

This also tells you how to reinstall the precision trackpad drivers if you use them, if not you can just stop after resintalling the old drivers but I definetely recommend the precision drivers. The only thing is that last section where it stops windows from auto updating drivers is outdated for I think the new 1809 version of windows. If you right click the start button, hit system, system info on the right, Advanced System Settings on the left, go to the hardware tab, then hit device installation settings, then hit no. That SHOULD stop all automatic driver updates.

HP Recommended

why didn't you reply to all since we all are having the same problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.