Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently started taking college courses online, and since my laptop has been a little laggy, and it occasionally slows down on me, I wanted to do a factory reset so that I could start off fresh. I have tried to do a factory reset about 20 times, and each and every time at appx 32% into it, it tells me "There was an error, no changes were made" or "All changes were undone" I have read this forum looking for a solution, but none work. Could someone please help me? I have tried to do the Enviornmental reset too, but it does the same exac t thing. Can someone PLEASE help?I am currently doing my work on two different computers and it is getting very confusing. Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Your recovery partition might be damaged.

I suggest you to give up on HP recovery media and create your own windows 10 USB to refresh your notebook.

Note: backup your personal data from c drive.

1: download windows 10 media creation tool. Using this link
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10
2: Download iso image using Windows 10 media creation tool.
3: download Rufus. https://rufus.akeo.ie
4: Create bootable USB drive using rufus.
5: plug in bootable usb to your notebook and then shut down.
6: As soon as you press the power button press f9 repeatedly then select usb drive from available options.
7: select install now then custom install.
8: delete c drive. (I'm not responsible if you delete wrong drive)
9: delete recovery drive. (Usually the size of recovery drive is between 10-40GB)
10: select unallocated space and click on next button.
11: follow on screen instructions.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended
Your recovery partition might be damaged.

I suggest you to give up on HP recovery media and create your own windows 10 USB to refresh your notebook.

Note: backup your personal data from c drive.

1: download windows 10 media creation tool. Using this link
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10
2: Download iso image using Windows 10 media creation tool.
3: download Rufus. https://rufus.akeo.ie
4: Create bootable USB drive using rufus.
5: plug in bootable usb to your notebook and then shut down.
6: As soon as you press the power button press f9 repeatedly then select usb drive from available options.
7: select install now then custom install.
8: delete c drive. (I'm not responsible if you delete wrong drive)
9: delete recovery drive. (Usually the size of recovery drive is between 10-40GB)
10: select unallocated space and click on next button.
11: follow on screen instructions.

HP Recommended
Hey, thank you so much for replying. I think I may have to try your solution at this point because I'm just so tired of hitting a wall every time I try it. As long as I follow your steps, will this be an easy process? I know it LOOKS easy, lol but I'm worried about unexpected pop-ups along the way or something similar. Also, I have to buy a USB flash big enough for this. How manu GBs would you say I'd need for this?
HP Recommended
The size of 64bit iso is approx. 4.5gb, you should buy 8gb or higher USB flash drive for this job.

You can format and reuse your USB drive after recovering your pc.

HP Recommended
Thank you again. I ordered a 64GB Samsung USB Flash today. It should be here on Saturday and I will do it then. Is it really as simple as following the steps that you posted above? Im sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, I'm just nervous that I will do something wrong and will no longer be able to power up or log on. Thank you for your time.
HP Recommended
Don't worry about the process.
It is very easy to follow the given instructions.

HP Recommended

I hope you see this soon. I'm really confused. I downloaded the windows 10 media installation tool and saved it to my usb. Now i downloaded Rufus, but under format options, and create a bootable disk using iso image, it asks me to select which location. I choose my usb but i don't see any options of windows 10, it only shows: boot, efi, sources, or support. I have no clue what to do with Rufus. I'm confused about Rufus. If i created the windows 10 media installation tool on the usb, why do I need rufus? Can you please help? 

HP Recommended
LoL I'm still lost and hope you understand what I'm trying to say. On the Rufus screen where you select all of the info (most of which is already selected for you under default) near the bottom right under fornat options, then its checked "create a bootable disk using iso" to the right where I have to click on the image of a disk, I select my USB, then the only options that appear are: boot, efi, sources, or support. Clicking on each of them doesn't show me anything that says windows 10. I watched a couple YouTube videos where the people select the windows 10 option, but I cent find that anywhere
HP Recommended
In that case you should change few settings in Rufus.
1: open Rufus.
2: under "partition scheme and target system type" select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer"
3: select iso image and create the bootable USB.
4: Try again.
HP Recommended

No. It's still doing the same thing. If I click start it tells me " no image selected. Please click on the disk button to select a bootable image, or uncheck the Create a bootable disk using checkbox." When I click on the disk icon, the same icons appear when I click on my USB: Boot, EFI, Sources, Support. I don't know why this is happening. I have included  pictures to show you what I am seeing.

pic1.jpgpic2.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.