Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-br082wm

I've had this laptop for a little bit over a year now and everything was working great, then one day i was watching a tv show on my laptop then it started making a weird grinding noise. When i listened closely it sounded like it was coming from the fan, so i assumed it was overheating or something so i turned it off to let it cool down. The noise is still going on for the past 2 months now. Two weeks ago i called HP support and the lady on the phone basically did nothing to help,  she said I have to pay for them to even do some troubleshooting steps. Which I think is ridiculous!!! Since my warranty ran out i knew I'll probably have to pay to get it fixed but why do I have to pay for just troubleshooting??? I used this laptop to take notes in class at college and i really don't want it to be making these noises in class. Please help

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Loism4 

Why? Because it takes time -- and time costs money.  If you take your car to a mechanic to have them troubleshoot it, they will charge you for the time spent.  Having someone spend time troubleshooting a PC is no different.

This description of the problems sounds like the bearings on the fan have worn out and one of these days, it will simply stop running.  When that happens, your laptop will overheat and shut down suddenly.  It probably won't damage it, as modern laptops have thermal thresholds built-in, but it will only then run for a very short time and will be useless for taking notes in class.

For repair estimates, you would need to contact an HP Repair or Service Center.
If you live in the U.S., here is a link to the HP Service Repair Centers:
https://www.service-center-locator.com/hp-hewlett-packard/hp-hewlett-packard-service-center.htm

If you live outside the U.S., here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/in-en/service-center

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Anyway.  like i said in my comment I am willing to pay to get it fixed, but I think it's unnecessary that I have to pay just to see what the issue even is. And it turns out it was unnecessary because I called HP support again, right after posting my comment and the guy on the phone went into diagnosing the problem RIGHT AWAY !  So I know for a fact the customer service representative I talked to two weeks ago just didn't want to be bothered with helping me 🙄. All it took was good customer service. And what you said the issue was is totally wrong so no thank you for your help.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.