Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp envy notebook-17 j013cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hey guys
I really need your help
Couple of days ago my hp envy notbook PC got in automatic disk repair loop which I couldn't by pass or get on with it; I use linux mint rosa for backing up my files and format my partitions and when I tried to reinstall windows with DVD or USB bootable devices while linux been cleaned from my PC it say:
bootable devices not found
No operating system found in this computer please install

And I couldn't figure out what's the problem is
I thought it was hard drive but it works fine when I use live linux OS
And if it was BIOS problem It shouldn't have boot to linux os. Please help!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here's the help. That is a bad hard drive and needs replacement. You seem to know what you are doing so I will not bore you with details but more help available for the asking. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

What partitions did you format? Can you get into the diagnostics F2 as you power on and run a hard drive test? 

HP Recommended
I use min tool partitioning tool. I boot with it and delet and format two of my patitions. I format with NTfs format
Yes I can get into that
I did memory test and their was no problem on it
But I did short dst hard drive test and get this
Smart check:passed
Shor dst: failed
Failure ID: 9skq43-6nw862-mfgjxg-60sk03
But I couldn't get help on that failure 😞
HP Recommended

Here's the help. That is a bad hard drive and needs replacement. You seem to know what you are doing so I will not bore you with details but more help available for the asking. 

HP Recommended
That's too bad 😞
Tho I didn't know why it only boots and run linux mint
HP Recommended

Are you running Linux Mint from a live disk or did you actually install it on the hard drive? If you did you may have altered the master boot record so it is hard to reinstall Windows or it may be that Linux handles booting from the hard drive differently than Windows and you can get Linux to boot from it and not Windows. That is why I use Linux as a tool to recover data from hard drives that will not boot Windows any more. Linux is much more forgiving of hardware errors.  In any event, the drive is bad and would start to gove you problems even in Linux at some point.  

HP Recommended
I installed it to check if the hard drive works. So there's no way I can get fix the drive?
HP Recommended

You figure that out and you would not have to work another day in your life. No despite what you might read from some crackpots, you cannot "fix" a bad hard drive. The best you can do is maybe mask the bad places or hide the performance issues. Once a hard drive tests bad it is not worth having any more and certainly not trustworth to run an operating system from. 

HP Recommended
Okay appreciate all your help
I'll buy new one
Thanks on advance!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.