Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Victus 16
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, I've just updated my BIOS (in fact it wasn't me, but the windows update). Now, the main drive (SSD, Samsung PCIe gen 4) doesn't show up and it can't boot to the windows. The solutions I found on the internet keep saying that I need to turn on legacy support but my BIOS doesn't have that option. How I'm supposed to do to be able log in to my windows?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After the SSD was recovered, I saw that the EFI partition was gone which caused BIOS not to be able to boot the windows. here is the tutorial about recreating the EFI partition to boot the Windows:

https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/52837-moving-recreating-efi-partition.html

but there is the trick, the USB installer doesn't know what drive in the computer You use. You need to add the storage driver (Intel RST Management in my case). Then open the terminal and run setup.exe. Follow the installation process until you can see your storage.  Close the setup, and continue following the instructions at the link above.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Log into the bios and on every page of the the bios, select the default for that page.

Make sure you have secure boot enabled.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended
Unfortunately, I've tried it too. It doesn't work too
HP Recommended

Please provide the Product ID  for better assistance. Preferably the full product ID including the characters after the # symbol. This code may be needed to find cloud recovery files.

What error are you getting?  Some newer systems do not list any drives in bios, instead the boot manager is listed.

Have you run diagnostics?
Tap the ESC key after powering on to run diagnostics and then press F2

Is the disk test listed as an option?

HP Recommended

Here is my product id 484POPA#AR6 and I'm currently using BIOS revision F25.A

HP Recommended

Disk test is there and the test also successful 

HP Recommended

There is no cloud recovery at https://d34z73bbtpzgej.cloudfront.net/

BeemerBiker_0-1712564944089.png

Go into the BIOS setup see if it shows Windows boot manager where the picture below shows OS boot manager

BeemerBiker_1-1712565479700.png

what does your boot page options show?

-----

Have you tried reset the CMOS?  There are two ways On way is to hold the power button down for 25 seconds.  The other it similar but you hold down the Windows key and the letter v with one hand and turn on the laptop with the other as described here

If none of the above work then

Click here to check warranty
and
Click here for world-wide contact info
Or contact the closest authorized service center

let me know what happens!

HP Recommended

It only shows os Boot manager. I tried using Linux USB installer and it shows my SSD ROM (samsung_nvme_rom) not all partitions that I have.

HP Recommended

Many modern laptops do not list the disk drives in the bios.  If the BIOS list OS boot manager  that normally means the disk drive does not have a bootable partition.   If the partition was bootable and recognized It would list the actual boot manager such as Ubuntu or Windows.

I am only familiar with the Rufus and Ubuntu.  When configuring the boot USB in Rufus, did you enable UEFI and GPT in addition to enabling secure boot on the laptop? 

If it was not configured probably that might be why you cannot boot.  Possibly the SSD is in MBR mode instead of UEFI.  This is just a guess.

Did you want to install windows 11 or a distro like Ubuntu?

HP Recommended

The secure boot is active and the SSD already has boot partition but after windows updated my BIOS without my intentions, the boot partition just disappear and the SSD now is inaccessible.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.