Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 m3 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

dI was working on my laptop this afternoon then suddenly it stopped working smoothly and didn't load what I want. Then I closed every program and apps on my laptop and restarted it. And instead of restarting normally it started showing me a completely black screen without anything, which had happened 2 days ago when I restarting it and ended up reset the whole laptop and lost. What should I do now? I can't reset it again because this time I haven't save some of my important assignment on drive yet (which I am supposed to hand in TODAY!!!)

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Phung

According to the HP specs, your PC has an M.2 SSD -- and that makes retrieving files from it much harder than from a "traditional" SSD that is the same form factor as a laptop drive.  The reason is that the M.2 SSD is likely to be soldered to the motherboard of the laptop, thus preventing removal.

Even if it is not, should you remove it, you would then need to connect it to anothe PC using an SSD-to-USB adapters and such adapters for M.2 SSDs are really hard to find.

So, what I propose is booting your PC from a USB stick containing a different Windows environment, plugging in a USB stick (once that it running), and using a file explorer app to copy the files you need to save from the SSD to the USB stick.

What MIGHT work is the following:
1) On a working PC, use this link to download and install a free copy of Macrium Reflect:  http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Once that is installed, use the option to create a Boot USB stick (Other Tasks --> Create Rescue Media).  This creates a bootable USB stick that runs a version of Windows.
3) Boot the PC from that USB stick.  To do this, try pressing F9 repeatedly while booting to get a boot drive menu, or press the Esc key repeatedly while booting to get an HP utilities menu, and select the boot menu from that
4) Be patient ... as booting from a USB stick is really, really slow
5) Once in the MR recovery environment, you can then remove the USB stick.
6) Insert a USB stick for holding data and, down at the bottom left of the windows screen are some icons. Select the one on the right to open a form of File Explorer.
7) Use the File Explorer app to locate the files you need on the SSD and copy them to the USB stick.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I still not quite get what you mean but thank you and I will try that.

Currently my laptop kept showing me this (photo below) and when I chose reset PC it doesn't work. It said that there are problems or sth and it cannot reset.

I really don't know what to do

received_1205811799595098.jpeg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.