Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15s-eq1000 Laptop PC (8WQ35AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

Hello everyone, I have a question, when I got my laptop (HP 15s-eq1000) it was in Windows 11 S mode and I couldn't get other apps on this laptop cos it is in S mode and I never saw S mode before and I thought that if I reinstall my windows S mode will be gone, and I installed Windows 10 and S mode was still there, and now I found out that I need to deactivate S mode for my laptop to function, but then comes the problem, when I reinstalled Windows, I forgot to write down my windows activation key and without it I can't deactivate S mode, so any ideas if I can get that key back?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Windows product key is in your Notebooks BIOS.

You can get the key by installing the free Showkey Plus app from the Microsoft Store.

ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store Apps

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for this info, I will try it later 🙂 .

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

HP Recommended

Hello, again , I tried that app and the key it shows me doesn't let me activate my windows with it, something is wrong 😞 .

HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry, that didn't work for you.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to use the HP cloud recovery tool to make a bootable USB recovery drive if your notebook is supported by it to factory reset the notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.  You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive to create the recovery media with.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

If that works, please follow Microsoft's guidance for how to switch out of S-mode.

Switching out of S mode in Windows (microsoft.com)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.