Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It started with just not recognising the mouse. So I tried to fix that and restarted the notebook. When i restarted the notebook just turned the screen black but the keyboard was still lit and I could hear the fans. I tried stuff such as a command to shut down, updating the drivers and nothing worked.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@DomKleim

Welcome to HP support community.

Create a new user account and check if tat works

1. Select Settings.
  2. Tap Accounts.
  3. Select Family & other users.
  4. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."
  5. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."
  6. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."
  7. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.

Update the BIOS

Refer this HP support community for the steps to update BIOS:- Click here

If the issue persists, run extensive test to check for any hardware failures.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3.From the main menu, click System Tests, then click Extensive Test. Figure : Selecting the Extensive Test

4. Click Run once, or Loop until error. While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take 2 or more hours to complete.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried every option, none of them works. Tried to do the test, run it like 10 times and nothing. I also tried to test my USB and it gave me an error ID: Q4Q4Q1-7T69LX-MFPWLK-8D3103

HP Recommended

Did you try powering off the laptop and discharging its power for 30 seconds by keeping the power button held down for 30 seconds?  

MBlakeS87
HP Recommended

It sounds like you may have some corrupted OS files.  Try opening cmd and running sfc /scannow to repair corrupted OS files.  Have you tried disabling fast startup?  

MBlakeS87
HP Recommended

The OS files were corrupted, it fixed itself and it didn't help. Also, I disabled the fast startup.

HP Recommended

Enter your BIOS and restore all BIOS settings to default.  This is often done with a single keystroke such as F9.  Then, save and exit the BIOS.  

I would suggest that you uninstall and reinstall USB controllers inside Device Manager with an account that has Administrator privliges. Please follow these steps:

a. Press Windows + R keys, type devmgmt.msc in run window and press Enter.
b. In device manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
c. Right click a device under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and click uninstall.
d. Perform same step for other devices. When completed, restart the computer.

All USB controllers will reinstall automatically.

Also, try installing the HP Support Assistant application and check for updates for your system and install each one that shows up.  

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Also, you may want to run "dism /online/ cleanup-image /restorehealth" in cmd as an administrator since the sfc /scannow command found and fixed issues with your OS.  

If none of these steps work, I would try restoring the OS to its default state by using your systems recovery options, or if your system is still under warranty, I would contact HP Customer Service directly over the phone and let them know about the issues you have been facing.  

MBlakeS87
HP Recommended

I have tried to restore to factory settings and it didn't work. Tried to restore the OS and I couldn't the option was grey and i couldn't click on it.

HP Recommended

You have a few more options.  You can use the HP Cloud Recovery Tool to restore your system to its factory defaults.  Also, Microsoft's media creation tool can create a bootable USB drive for you to start fresh with a new install of Windows 10, however; HP would recommend you use their Cloud Recovery Tool.  Either way, you should be able to get a clean install of Windows on your system.  You can go to hp's website and find more information concerning your specific system and the HP Cloud Recovery Tool.    

MBlakeS87
HP Recommended

I would like to try this however the notebook USB port doesnt recognize anything, I can only use them to charge my phone or power cooling device.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.