Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP NOTEBOOK 15-AY041WM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My laptop is on. Plugs in charger and it will not charge. It will only charge when laptop is off or in sleep mode. So i need to update BIOS so I can charge my laptop while its on. How can i do this without the AC adapter?
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ravenous31492 

NOT recommended, even if you can do it.  Why?

Because if the battery does not have sufficient charge to complete the entire BIOS update operation, the PC will shut down, and because it failed during an update, it will then basically be turned into an "electric brick!"

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I appreciate you lookin out.

But my battery is fully charged.

and i have a separate external hard drive.

So i need to know  how to update BIOS w/o the AC adapter plugged in.

its inconvenient having to buy multiple batteries just to do my work.

the battery used to charge while i had the laptop on and now it only charges while in sleep mode.

Since this is the only way to get it done, someone please hook me up.

I'm aware that i'm responsble for what happens if it "bricks"

HP Recommended

@ravenous31492 

If the PC won't boot without the AC adapter connected, then there is nothing you can do regarding the BIOS.

Some model laptops will boot with just the battery; others will not.  There is nothing you can do to alter that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.