Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 14-dq0002dx

I haven't used laptop for a while and when I turned it on I got the No operating system No hard rive installed message and I can't get any help

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Ddyse,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you're seeing a "No hard drive installed" message on your HP Notebook - 14, it indicates that the computer is unable to detect a functioning hard drive. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the issue,

• Restart your laptop: Sometimes, a simple restart can help the system recognize the hard drive. Turn off your laptop, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
  • Check the hard drive connections: In some cases, the hard drive may have become loose or dislodged. Ensure that the hard drive is properly connected to the motherboard. You may need to open the laptop's casing to access the hard drive. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, it's best to seek assistance from a professional technician.
  • Check the BIOS settings: Access your laptop's BIOS settings by restarting the computer and repeatedly pressing the appropriate key (such as F2 or Del) as soon as it starts booting. Once you're in the BIOS, navigate to the "Boot" or "Storage" section and ensure that the hard drive is recognized and set as the primary boot device. If the hard drive is not listed or is listed as "Not Detected," there may be a hardware issue.
  • Try a different SATA cable: If you have a spare SATA cable, you can try replacing the existing cable to rule out any potential issues with the cable itself.
  • Test the hard drive on another computer: If possible, connect the hard drive to another computer to check if it is detected. If it works on another system, the problem may lie with your HP Notebook - 14's hardware or software configuration,

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.