Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-r110na (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop is over heating. Gets very hot on the center of the keyboard as well as on the right wrist panel. Since the warranty lapsed many years ago I decided to open it up. No cooling fan in place. I guess the only option would be to re-apply thermal paste to the cpu.    

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Notebooks with the Pentium and Celeron processors were engineered to run without a fan.

That is because those processors are low wattage processors unlike the Intel core processors.

Personally, I don't think it was a good idea to not include a fan, but I am not a PC hardware engineer.

I just know that subjectively, those notebooks get mighty hot.

HP Recommended

Dear Paul.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

I concur with your thoughts..

No fan makes no sense to me  - but your point is understood.  

As of now - the keyboard could fry an egg on it. lol 

Short term solution. 

I am using an external fan on the vent side - which as of now is doing a great job.

Best long term solution

Will need to reapply thermal paste to the CPU.

Cheers.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I have a HP Stream 11 Pro G4 notebook with a Celeron processor and you can use it as a lap warmer.

It has no vents.

The thing that concerns me is that excessive heat will cause damage and failure of internal components such as the hard drive, wifi adapter and memory, just to name a few.

There's no way to add a fan to your notebook, no connectors, etc?

Chapter 3, page 19 of the service manual has the fan part number used in the notebooks with the Intel core processors.

c04409502.pdf (hp.com)

If the fan connector is on the motherboard, it might work.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul.

Cheers for commenting,

W/r adding a fan - that is something I will need to look into.

Suffice to say the best solution would be to reapply thermal paste to the CPU.  

HP Recommended

Anytime.

If there is a fan connector, there are plenty of those fans with that part number for sale on eBay.

753894-001: Search Result | eBay

It was used in several different model notebooks.

HP Recommended

After viewing a few YT videos to help determine fan connection / location it has become apparent my motherboard is devoid of one. As you have stated, some laptops are engineered to run without one.

Cheers for your input.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.