Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15t-j100
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After numerous startup failures (see posts in Boot forum) I was advised to update drivers etc. Did that, using the HP assistant, one of the updates was the System BIOS. That is the last thing I did on that machine, I am now using a borrowed laptop. The BIOS update seemed to go okay, installed, then verified, the re-booted. But it didn't re-boot. "No operating system found......." Thank you very much HP.

I specified Win 7 Pro when I ordered this machine instead of the pathetic Win 8, so I do not want to restore it to factory defaults. Now how do I get out of this hole?

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Enter BIOS again and check to be sure Legacy boot is enabled- Secure boot disabled. If you have to change it be sure to Save & Exit. When you are restarting for the first time after turning secure boot off, pay attention to the small notice saying you must confirm saving this setting by entering a shown PIN-code + enter, otherwise those new settings in the BIOS are not saved.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

3 things I would try in this situation- in the order I would do them if no success on first.

1-Immediately after powering on start tapping the F10 key to enter BIOS. (You may need to tap Esc key then choose F10 from menu options) Once in tap F9 to reset to Default settings. Then tap F10 to Save & Exit.

2-No joy? Try a hard reset.Disconnect all external devices first.

1-remove power cord and battery

2-press power button for 30 seconds

3-reinstall only power cord for first startup.

4-power on

3-Still no joy?try rolling back to previous BIOS.

1-Immediately after powering on hold/tap the Esc key.

2-When the menu appears, tap F2 for System Diagnostics.

3-In the list of items will be BIOS or Firmware Management.Use the arrow key to move down & highlight it.Press Enter key.

4-You should now have a Rollback BIOS option.Use arrow key again to highlight and press Enter key.

HP Recommended

CherylG thank you VERY much indeed for your fast response. It is now late evening in California, I don't want to make any stupid mistakes to compound the problem, this machine makes enough without my help. So I'll tackle it in the morning.

Just one thing... I did try the hard reset, twice, second time a very hard reset, with fingers crossed. That didn't cut it, your suggestions sound much better to me.

David

HP Recommended

CherylG I tried your suggestions. I did get to the rollback option in the BIOS, tried it, ended with:

"The selected BIOS image was not available. You may select an alternate image file or cancel rollback

"This system's BIOS F67

"A signature file must also be available in the same directory"

What do I do now? Pray?

David

HP Recommended

After trying the suggested solutions (none worked) I remembered that I have an HP Operating System DVD. 'Windows 7 Professional SP1' it says. 'For software reinstallation and repair only'. 'For distribution only with a new HP pc'. It came with the machine, so I decided to try a 'repair'.

I booted using the disk. Loooong pause, then:

"Selected boot image did not authenticate. Press Enter to continue."

So I pressed Enter. The machine shut down. (Does 'continue' mean something different in HP speak? To my simple mind it means something like 'go on tot he next step'. I'm missing something again.

How can a recovery disk supplied with a machine not work at all when the chips are down? CherylG, or SDJL, or anyone, please, how do I get this laptop back to life?

David

HP Recommended

Still trying to breathe life into this pig, more in hope than expectation.

I removed the hard drive (240GB SSD), and replaced it with a brand new, just opened 1TB SSD. There is no OS on this drive, it is blank. And I had the HP "recovery" DVD plugged into a USB port. Pressed the power button, the back-light came on. That's it, not even "failed to authenticate".

How can I get a working copy of the BIOS and install it? Is that something that can be downloaded?

I seem to be writing to myself. Can this issue be elevated to a senior tech?

David

HP Recommended

So now the original SSD is back. I tried F11 on booting. Did not work, just back to the "did not authenticate" error.

I tried F10, again. Then F9. Now looking at the BIOS screen I see that the installed OS is shown as Win 8.1. I never had Win 8 on this machine, I woud not have bought it if that had been the only option. How can I change that OS setting in the BIOS?

David

HP Recommended

Enter BIOS again and check to be sure Legacy boot is enabled- Secure boot disabled. If you have to change it be sure to Save & Exit. When you are restarting for the first time after turning secure boot off, pay attention to the small notice saying you must confirm saving this setting by entering a shown PIN-code + enter, otherwise those new settings in the BIOS are not saved.

HP Recommended

Wow! What a can of worms!!! Thank you again, how come you know so much more than everyone else??? I'll give it a go.

HP Recommended

It worked!!!! Cheryl you are amazing! I am now looking at Win 7 Desktop.

I'm in Silicone Valley, if you are too where can I deliver the Champagne?

What do I do now about the BIOS, just leave well enough alone?

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.