Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I downloaded the utility andran it from a flash drive. I used a 32 gig flash drive for storage.

i tried running it several times and it failed when it reached 20-23% download.

I finally realized that the flashdrive was automatically assigned as D:.

This conflicted with the 2nd partition on my hard disk which was also labeled 😧

All the time I thought it was using the flash drive, t was really trying to write to the 2nd partition.

I removed the flash drive and used a usb hard drive that was assigned to E:.

After 4 hours it finally completed successfully.

When it was done I still had over 6 gig free. I deleted the windows.old folder and now have almost 10 gig free.

This may be the reason for a lot of the failures using the utility.

HP Recommended

@tsylviawrote:

When it was done I still had over 6 gig free. I deleted the windows.old folder and now have almost 10 gig free.

This may be the reason for a lot of the failures using the utility.

I think you are right.

Running Disk Cleanup should be more widely publicized.

Microsoft leaves the old installations in case an upgrade doesn't go well and you want to go back, but once everything is running, there is no reason to keep them around.

Also, use software to back up your hard drive.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-backup-software-tools-2617964

It makes life a lot easier if you have a hard drive fail or get infected with malware.

HP Recommended

The challenges with doing a clean install is that you'll be in the same situation 6 months from now when a new update from Microsoft is available.  Finding a simple process to have the updates install when they are avaialable will really improve the whole process for you.  doing a 'clean install' every 6 months not only makes you remove your personal files,  but everything else is wiped clean as well.  External Cloud Storage, external media, or an SD card that you leave in the device are all great solutions.  here's an article on HP's website that explains how to do each step. and here's Microsoft help article on how to do this as well. hope this helps. - Sam-in-Texas

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

My upgrade went better this time. I provided two memsticks though. The first time the 10Gb asked for wasn't enough so tbe upgrade failed. Then asked for "more" C:\ drive space but not specific. I wa showing abot 3Gb. I used CC to clean up and gained another 3Gb making 6Gb on C:\ drive. Now being asked for 14Gb on another memstick. This worked but I think  both memsticks have WIN10 system back-up files on them. Might be the same or partly duplicated - might not!" I could  find that out by copying accross - and I might one day soon. The thing is it seems to be working! Hoo bloody-ray! Rgds BerryG

HP Recommended

@Sam-in-Texaswrote:

The challenges with doing a clean install is that you'll be in the same situation 6 months from now when a new update from Microsoft is available.  Finding a simple process to have the updates install when they are avaialable will really improve the whole process for you.  doing a 'clean install' every 6 months not only makes you remove your personal files,  but everything else is wiped clean as well.  External Cloud Storage, external media, or an SD card that you leave in the device are all great solutions.  here's an article on HP's website that explains how to do each step. and here's Microsoft help article on how to do this as well. hope this helps. - Sam-in-Texas

I only did a clean install this time because I decided the space that was being taken up by the recovery partition was useless.  The recovery partition lets you go back to that "ancient" version of Windows. In my case, it was 1607.

But, what's the point of keeping that recovery partition?

Microsoft's only going to immediately force me to upgrade to 1709 or whatever is the newest version anyway.

So, clean install and zap that partition to reclaim several gigabytes of hard drive space.

I agree with CherylG that this clean install and practice of saving your personal files elsewhere will be good for at least two more Windows 10 upgrades.

HP Recommended

@ieee488

Not to forget that Microsoft has Windows Lean in the works also. Supposedly takes up 2gb less hdd space and is streamlined. May be perfect for Stream and laptops from other manufacturers with tiny eMMC storage.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-lean-smaller-edition-windows-10-devices-16gb-storage

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thank you Sam-in-Texas - grateful for the response. This time my update worked with a stumble. Asking for 10Gb on a stick and satisfied with 3Gb in C:\ proved wrong & I had to clear 6Gb on C:\  with CC Cleaner and provide another USB stick with 14Gb free. The upgrade went ahead but I lost use for hours. It is now working OK.

I take all your points about clean installs. I ask you this:

How long do I need to keep all that stuff on those mem sticks?

What are your thoughts on the use of Ubuntu for the Stream 13 and other machines with small (32Gb) HDD's?

Best regards, BerryG

@Sam-in-Texaswrote:

HP Recommended

I am keeping my USB flash drive of Windows 10 1709.

I am re-using the USB flash drive that has Windows 10 1703.

I also use Clonezilla (Linux-based) software to make an image of the hard drive.

There are Windows-based backup software which I linked above.

This will save time should your hard drive crash or your Windows becomes infected with maware.

I do this for all my PCs.

As for Linux,

I run Linux Mint 18 nearly 99% of the time on my Dell Optiplex 3020 desktop.

The only time I boot into Windows 7 is to install security updates.

For the Stream, I don't see any reason not to try Linux Mint.

If you want a lighter Linux distro, take a look at the options: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-lightweight-linux-distros-ideal-intel-atom-processor-pc/

The only reason I haven't installed Linux on the Ideapad 120S with the 32 GB eMMC is because I know a laptop with Windows has a higher resale value. Many people just don't want to deal with Linux. And with this clean install, it should be okay for awhile.

HP Recommended

@CherylGwrote:

@ieee488

Not to forget that Microsoft has Windows Lean in the works also. Supposedly takes up 2gb less hdd space and is streamlined. May be perfect for Stream and laptops from other manufacturers with tiny eMMC storage.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-lean-smaller-edition-windows-10-devices-16gb-storage

I think Microsoft is seeing erosion because some people are switching to Chromebooks.

It's about time they acknowledge this was a problem.

HP Recommended

BerryG,

So glad you are up and running with Windows 10 1803. Congratulations! interesting question abou tthe backups...  How long should you keep the files? I keep the files until I need to use the mem-stick for something else.  But really it boils down to personal preference.  If the STREAM 14 laptop was the only device I had,  I would always keep a known good image backup handy incase anything ever happend.  If you can dedicate a single USB to always have a known good build, this might interest you.  If not,  remember, there are always ways to recovery with HP media (fees may apply), or MSFT Media Creation Tool.  -  Sam-in-Texas

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.