Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Someone please help. I can't figure out how to wipe the emmc.
HP Recommended

Really liking your posts.  clear.  Sometimes I have to look up a half dozen terms to figure out what folks are advising.  The more intuitive the software gets, the more in the dark I am.  Oh, how I long for the days of batch files and no windows.  Now, that was productivity.  And control. Ok... back to my rocking chair and warm milk and other fond memories of my youth.

HP Recommended

The downloaded ISO file which Rufus makes into a bootable memory stick will do it for you when it starts up.

So will the UBUNTU installer (should choose to switch to UB). Your existing system will be wiped away.  Be sure that you don't have any files on there (drive C:\) that you want to keep. In future install your Apps on the Extension memory card which can be up to 64Gb and appears as Drive D:\

Before you take this instruction as gospel try and get some confirmation from CherylG or another HP heavyweight.

Some people have said that the small Laptops and Notebooks don't have enough space to accomodate the ISO image file that you need to download. I think you can use another USB men stick or the extension card for the ISO file store but others say do it on another machine.

It's your choice

Please also read my other Posts.

Rgds

BerryG

HP Recommended

Thanks for your kind words.  I'm glad that this forum was able to send me in the right direction to solve this problem.  I found that HP puts a lot of proprietary "bulk" on this machines too and by not having all of that, it has freed up space I need.   The only thing I had to go get was the card reader to read my little card and that was a breeze.  I had expected this to take a whole day to accomplish, based on what I had been reading on this forum, but was very happy to spend less than an hour.  (Raising my glass to you folks here).

HP Recommended

@harleycodrwrote:

Thanks for your kind words.  I'm glad that this forum was able to send me in the right direction to solve this problem.  I found that HP puts a lot of proprietary "bulk" on this machines too and by not having all of that, it has freed up space I need.   The only thing I had to go get was the card reader to read my little card and that was a breeze.  I had expected this to take a whole day to accomplish, based on what I had been reading on this forum, but was very happy to spend less than an hour.  (Raising my glass to you folks here).

The Windows install itself does not take that long.

It is the updates following the installation that take a long time.

Since you are installing the newest version of Windows 10 there are no additional updates.

In addition, because the Stream is a newer laptop, most of the drivers it needs is already in Windows 10.

On the other hand, it takes several hours for a clean Windows 7 installation.

I just went through this recently.

HP Recommended

@Bneedshelp

Read the guide carefully. After choosing Install and you get to the screen where it has Upgrade or Custom- choose Custom. It will then show you the eMMC and both partitions. Select each one at a time and choose Delete.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Not-enough-disk-space-to-even-u...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Would someone help me out with all this.  My head is spinning now that I've read all these posts.  Good to see you CherylG you have helped me greatly in the past!

It looks like the only recourse here is to do a Clean Install, am I missing something else about it all?

I am worried that this is just going to happen again, is there anything that can be done to prevent this.  I don't think I want to complicate things using another Storage Drive, like the SD Card suggestion, but will if that is needed.

Also wondering if HP is standing by this product, and doing something to help mitigate these issues, which are quite large in my opinion?

One more thing, is it still a thing not to have something like a Wireless USB Chip/Rceiver plugged in while doing a Clean Install?

Thanks, pcpunk

HP Recommended

@pcpunkwrote:

Would someone help me out with all this.  My head is spinning now that I've read all these posts.  Good to see you CherylG you have helped me greatly in the past!

It looks like the only recourse here is to do a Clean Install, am I missing something else about it all?

I am worried that this is just going to happen again, is there anything that can be done to prevent this.  I don't think I want to complicate things using another Storage Drive, like the SD Card suggestion, but will if that is needed.

Also wondering if HP is standing by this product, and doing something to help mitigate these issues, which are quite large in my opinion?

One more thing, is it still a thing not to have something like a Wireless USB Chip/Rceiver plugged in while doing a Clean Install?

Thanks, pcpunk

If you have at least 8 GB of free space on your hard drive, you should be able to update without doing a clean install.

But that essentially means not having many apps/programs installed.

If you want to try this step first, you would need to uninstall many of the apps.

Also, run Window's Disk Cleaner to remove old Windows updates. They are still on the hard drive.

Move all your personal photos etc to the microSD card and/or USB flash drive.

Then see if you have the 8 GB of free hard drive space.

If you do a clean install you should end up with about 10-15 GB of free hard drive space which "should" be good for the next few Windows updates. Should is the operative word.

As to having wifi on when doing the clean install, it really doesn't matter. When you get to the step asking about getting updates, click NO.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

As to having wifi on when doing the clean install, it really doesn't matter. When you get to the step asking about getting updates, click NO.

Good luck!

Thanks, I was talking about the Wireless Mouse Reciver Chip.  Should that not be plugged in while doing an Clean Install?

I'm even having issues getting it to boot from a Rufus UEFI Created USB?  I will plug away at it some more.

Thanks again

HP Recommended
So I got the clean install done but now I can not get my computer to connect to WiFi! Thanks for the help so far. Any suggestions on this?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.