Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-c0000 (2W0H9AV)

Hello,

My name is Xander. For my Applied Computer Science study, I had to use the "Lockdown Browser" software. This is basically a sktechy application that's used for monitoring your pc during an exam. It disables a lot of Windows their functionalities to prevent cheating.

One day it asked me to update it. I wish I never did. The software crashed during the update and I had to reinstall it. First it looked like nothing happened but oh dear. My windows is broken. Earlier, my pc took 5 mins to startup. Whenever I started it up it was a few minutes stuck on a blue loading screen with "loading". Windows updates do not work anymore. It gives me errors of that the Windows update could not install due to corrupted files. (error message oin Dutch: Sommige updatebestanden ontbreken of vertonen problemen. We proberen de update later opnieuw te downloaden. Foutcode: (0x80070570)) I also tried to factory reset. That fails due to "unknown" error. I even tried by using the Windows install software. Any Windows repair tools like SFC and DISM do not work. They give me an error like "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.".

Since I'm a Computer Science student, I can normally fix pc issues, however this one is different. I'm so lost that I'm afraid I have to do a factory reset. I tried this aswell in the windows settings but even that fails. It feels like that's due some left over software from Lockdown Browser that didn't get deleted whenever it should've deleted. Feel free to let me know what else I should try. I'd also like to know  how to reinstall windows without the windows install safely and backing up my data.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The service manual for your notebook indicates that it comes with an Intel 11th gen core processor.

Maintenance and Service Guide (hp.com)

When you go to install Windows, it can't find the hard drive because it is missing the Intel storage controller driver used for those processors.

Unzip and copy the storage controller drivers to a flash drive and when you get to the part of the installation where Windows can't find a drive, select the Load driver option, browse to the USB flash drive with the drivers on it.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Click Next, and hopefully W10 will install.

If you need to make a bootable W10 installation flash drive, you can do that with the Media creation tool on another PC from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

HP Recommended

Thank you for your input. After installing the software you told me to install I tried repairing my windows again using the Windows 10 media installation tool. Unfortunately it did not work. Windows started to repair, I got into a blue screen with a loading message on the upper left. After some time it gave me and empty dialog with "Windows 10 installation failed". No errors or anything were given in this dialog.

Thanks again for your input, hopefully you got any other ideas how I can fix my issue.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, the only other suggestion I can offer would be to use the HP cloud recovery tool.

This will cause you to lose all data currently installed on the hard drive.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to use the HP cloud recovery tool and a 32 GB USB flash drive to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall Windows, the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

Since you have to use the utility on another PC, you will need to enter your PC's product number in the tool's search window in order to proceed to make the recovery media.

The product number you posted is probably not the one you need to enter.

Check your BIOS's system information window and see if there is a different product number listed other than 2W0H9AV, because that is the product number for the general model series under which several other product numbers would fall as you can see from the partial list I posted below.

You also need to enter the # sign and the 3 characters to the right of the # sign along with the main product number to the left of the # sign.

HP PartSurfer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.