Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 -ac123na Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I bought this laptop for my Grandson Christmas 2015. It started today with trying to repair (to which nothing happened) I tried to do a factory reset but now am presented with: " The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors. File:\system32\ntoskrnl..exe You'll need to use recovery tools.If you don't have any installation media (disc or USB) Contact your PC/device manufacturer....... 

Using wireless network. Not known if Grandson did any recent software/driver updates.

Please can you advise as we don't have such media. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Fill out the form to start a support ticket- in Step 2 use the dropdown selector and choose my issue isn't listed. The Contact HP button should become clickable. Be sure mention the need for Recovery Media is why you are contacting:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-15-ac100-Notebook-PC-series/8499326/model/8903478

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Fill out the form to start a support ticket- in Step 2 use the dropdown selector and choose my issue isn't listed. The Contact HP button should become clickable. Be sure mention the need for Recovery Media is why you are contacting:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-15-ac100-Notebook-PC-series/8499326/model/8903478

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your quick response. I have now done what you said. I am asuming that my message was sent as I was returned to start page, with no confirmation that it had actually gone? Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

You really should have been given an option of chat or given a phone number to call. If you don't hear anything today try to give them a call>>http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

HP Recommended

No, I wasn't given any option. I have found a contact number and will ring them tomorrow.  I also found (looking up his model number) an update for HP Recovery Manager Update, I have downloaded it onto a USB stick in the hope this is what I need? Not sure how I go about installing it on his notebook though if this is what I need?

HP Recommended

Not really any way to install the update since the laptop won't boot into Windows. Even if you could I have doubts that it would offer any benefit. Normally the error you are getting indicates the recovery files are corrupted. You are going to need Recovery Media I believe to resolve this.

HP Recommended

Hi again. I had no luck with the UK phone number I found  (It gives a no such number or no longer available tone) I try to contact a UK help page on the web site, but keep going round in circles with no one to talk to (except you) who can help me with  obtaining  'Recovery Media' I feel so exhausted with it all 😞  I don't know where else to try contact in the UK

HP Recommended

Hi again. I've been able to get in touch via phone linked to the UK HP website a company called 'Best2Serve' On ringing that number and explaining what I need,I have paid for and they are posting me a System Recovery Kit. Hopefully this will solve my problem and get the laptop working again. Will have one happy Grandson! Thank you for all your correspondence with me, you have been SO helpful in telling me what I need. I will keep you posted what happens. Thanks

HP Recommended

Happy to hear you finally have Recovery Media on the way! Good luck and be sure to let us know if you need more help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.