Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G72t-b00
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everyone I got this laptop with a pirate system installed. I want to install the original version of the software. In microsoft.com won't let me download the disk image: "It looks like the product key you entered is related to software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Contact the device manufacturer to find out how to restore the software." Please tell me how to act in this case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Huskey35 

I'm confused about what it is you actually want because you're talking about two very different things -- (1) windows installation media, (2) recovery disk.  These are totally different items.

If you need Win7 installation media, then read this information below:

You can try using Windows images downloaded using the tool from this site:

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click the Download: Windows-ISo-Download.exe link. This will download that file to your PC. Double-click that file to run it.

Download the tool, run it, and do the following:
1) Select Windows 7 at the upper right
2) Under Select edition, select SP1 OEM -- this is the same as the HP OEM edition
3) Click the Confirm button
4) Select the product language, click confirm button
6) Select either the 64-bit or 32-bit download
7) Select a folder to save the file -- it's downloading 4GB or so of data, so that will take a while depending on the download speed. The progress bar might not show any progress but when the download is nearly done, a window will pop open indicating the ISO file is being moved from a temporary download directory to the folder you selected. The screen will then say Download Complete.

Once you have this, you have a choice of media to create:
1) If you can boot from CD, download and install ImgBurn and use the Write Image to Disk option to create a bootable DVD.
2) If you can boot from USB, download and install RUFUS and use the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Huskey35 

You need the legitimate product key to download from MS and that is printed on the case.  If that is unreadable, then you are probably out of luck because HP no longer carries Win7 era recovery media, meaning there is nothing you can get from HP.

You can try running this utility, but it's likely not going to work:  Showkeyplus - Win10 Forums 

HP Recommended

"You need the legitimate product key to download from MS and that is printed on the case"... That's what I was trying to do! I entered the key that is printed on the sticker on the case.

And I was very taken aback when Microsoft threw me overboard, despite the fact that I have an operating system license. How else can I create a recovery disk? I have already tried HP cloud recovery and also failed - the product id does not match, and I am out again!)))

HP Recommended

@Huskey35 

I'm confused about what it is you actually want because you're talking about two very different things -- (1) windows installation media, (2) recovery disk.  These are totally different items.

If you need Win7 installation media, then read this information below:

You can try using Windows images downloaded using the tool from this site:

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click the Download: Windows-ISo-Download.exe link. This will download that file to your PC. Double-click that file to run it.

Download the tool, run it, and do the following:
1) Select Windows 7 at the upper right
2) Under Select edition, select SP1 OEM -- this is the same as the HP OEM edition
3) Click the Confirm button
4) Select the product language, click confirm button
6) Select either the 64-bit or 32-bit download
7) Select a folder to save the file -- it's downloading 4GB or so of data, so that will take a while depending on the download speed. The progress bar might not show any progress but when the download is nearly done, a window will pop open indicating the ISO file is being moved from a temporary download directory to the folder you selected. The screen will then say Download Complete.

Once you have this, you have a choice of media to create:
1) If you can boot from CD, download and install ImgBurn and use the Write Image to Disk option to create a bootable DVD.
2) If you can boot from USB, download and install RUFUS and use the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.