Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv8
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi there, just for fun, how to install Windows 10 on old but good Pavilion dv8 from USB?

I was checking all kind of things and cannot boot USB.

USB with Windows works on any other PC etc.

After reading, YouTube.. everyone talking about Legacy Support..but I don't have this settings in BIOS.

Sure, I put USB as primary device when F9 asking for selecting..

Help 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC does not have a UEFI BIOS, so there is no legacy boot option.

Some old PC's such as yours can't boot from a USB flash drive, even though there is a setting to do so.

What I suggest you do if your primary goal is to install W10 on your PC, is to download the W10 ISO file instead, and use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below to transfer the ISO file to a DVD so that it is bootable, or you can use the 'Burn ISO file" option on your PC's DVD burning software.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then boot from the DVD to install W10.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC does not have a UEFI BIOS, so there is no legacy boot option.

Some old PC's such as yours can't boot from a USB flash drive, even though there is a setting to do so.

What I suggest you do if your primary goal is to install W10 on your PC, is to download the W10 ISO file instead, and use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below to transfer the ISO file to a DVD so that it is bootable, or you can use the 'Burn ISO file" option on your PC's DVD burning software.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then boot from the DVD to install W10.

HP Recommended

Another question, how to remove Admin Password and Power Password from BIOS?

We know the pass but is annoying when keep asking after reboot etc 🙂

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

I'm not sure.

You can see if this works...

1. Use the BIOS password to enter the BIOS
  2. Disable all passwords that are enabled
  3. If asked for current password - type the BIOS password again.
  4. For new password, just press ENTER key
  5. Repeat the same for verify password column.
  6. Then leave the BIOS by saving & exit option to save the changes.

HP Recommended

Problem n2 🙂

Windows is installed on DVD, working on old desktop PC...so everything is ok with boot.

But doesn't boot on laptop. 

I set boot order to DVD drive first..in boot menu or Bios.. no luck... keep booting old Windows.

Any solution?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for you to try, since you have tried everything I would have suggested already.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.