maria236
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Operating system

HP Recommended
HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Im getting  a message to update Classic Shell Operating System.  Then a box come up and warns do you want to update

from unknown source... Not sure if I should update this.  Can anyone help me. Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,538 30,445 2,783 6,721
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@maria236 

Classic Shell is an obsolete shell replacement that came out years ago to serve as a Start Menu for newer OSs, like Windows 8x and Windows 10, that no longer had start menus. Support for Classic Shell ended in 2017 when the product was discontinued. There are no new versions of this, so I would definitely NOT download anything claiming to update it.

If this is still on your PC, I would remove it immediately.

It has since been replaced by a new version known as Open-Shell -- which you can get from here:  https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation