Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Notebook 2000

Not sure if this is a "problem" but rather asking for advice or experiences. The machine is a Vista vintage HP Notebook 2000. It is in excellent condition but for the inability to use it for anything "online" I'm looking for a consensus on what best to install as the OS... I am leaning towards Andriod unless you all talk me out of it. And thank you for your time and assistance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Generally a laptop that old is not prone to like much anything beyond the original Windows, however, the Linux distros most likely will run on that old hardware.  While it will take minimal learning to convert your thinking to the new desktop, the internet functions and email are almost the same.

Android OS will not run on that hardware unless using an emulator, which is difficult to do on even a more modern PC.  Plus the functions are more intended for limited use of the Android apps.

There are many Linux distros that can be put on a DVD or CD, depending on the size, and run as a Live OS, so you can try it to see if it runs on the hardware before actually installing on the hard drive.  Linux Mint or Ubuntu are common.  For that old hardware, you do not need the newest version or either, but try them out to see if they will run and it is functional.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Generally a laptop that old is not prone to like much anything beyond the original Windows, however, the Linux distros most likely will run on that old hardware.  While it will take minimal learning to convert your thinking to the new desktop, the internet functions and email are almost the same.

Android OS will not run on that hardware unless using an emulator, which is difficult to do on even a more modern PC.  Plus the functions are more intended for limited use of the Android apps.

There are many Linux distros that can be put on a DVD or CD, depending on the size, and run as a Live OS, so you can try it to see if it runs on the hardware before actually installing on the hard drive.  Linux Mint or Ubuntu are common.  For that old hardware, you do not need the newest version or either, but try them out to see if they will run and it is functional.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hey thanks for the assist Old Man... I am humbled to have received a personal response...

I will attempt To load Limbuto on this one and see if I can get my head around it... 

HP Recommended

Glad to help.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.