Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
PAVILION 15 NOTEBOOK PC

PRESS F2 AT STARTUP FOR UEFI MENU - CANT FIND ANY OPTION TO UPGRADE BIOS

ONLY GET HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS UEFI

WITH OPTIONS FOR

-MEMORY TEST

-HARD DRIVE CHECK

-LANGUAGE

GOING FOR BIOS UPGRADE AS LAPTOP REBOOTS UNEXPECTEDLY

HAVE TRIED REINSTALLING WINDOWS BUT NEVER GET  CLEAN INSTALL AND ENDUP WITH COMPUTER RETARTED UNEXPECTEDLY WINDOW...

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Cmoss,

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding issues with the computer restarting randomly and you want to perform a bios update. Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 I will be glad to assist you here.

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this

• Did this happen after a power outage or surge?
  • Did this occur after a recent hardware or software change or update?
  • Please let me know the complete model# and the operating system installed on the computer to assist you correctly.

It looks like a hardware issue with the computer, For now, try these steps:

• Please perform a hard reset on the computer by following the steps from this link: https://hp.care/2nwQ054
  • Then please run hardware diagnostics on the computer from here http://hp.care/2EwpOh7 and run the extensive tests to eliminate hardware issue with the computer. That is critical.
  • Then follow all the prescribed steps till the issue gets resolved from this link: http://hp.care/2ExsL0Y (HP PCs - The Computer Restarts Unexpectedly (Windows 10, 8))
  • Now check for issue resolution. This should do the trick for you.
  • If the issue persists, then back up your data and perform a push button reset of Microsoft Windows 10 from this link: http://hp.care/2toQrBj and this should do the trick for you.
  • If you want to update the bios please visit this link: https://hp.care/2syreDe
  • Then select the correct country and enter the product# of your computer.
  • Then select the correct operating system and update the bios.
  • Now check for issue resolution.

If the issue continues, then the computer needs to be repaired by contacting HP phone support. I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind without beating around the bush as there is more to it than meets the eye.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: https://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. Good luck to you. I will keep a watch for your response.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI,

had alreadt done hard reset and tried reinstalling win 10 on new drive,

and still get random reboots then windows fails to load.

Ran the HP exensive test for over 4hrs with no errors.

Only thing i can think is motherboard issue or  HDD ribbon cable 

thought it passed all hDD & Memory tests....

Laptop just reboots when it feels like it even during a new Windows install.

any ideas 

Laptop is a Pavilion NoteBook PC 15-p091sa

SN: 5cd43983v3

Ive never know anyting like it....

Have also Updated Bios to latest.

HP Recommended

@Cmoss,

I read this quick response. Thanks for the update. It is great to have you back and your patience and time are greatly appreciated. Commendable dedication, terrific technical skills coupled with immense patience is a rarity and you've displayed it all. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

• Did you perform all the relevant steps from this link: http://hp.care/2ExsL0Y (HP PCs - The Computer Restarts Unexpectedly (Windows 10, 8))
  • DId you try the push button reset of Microsoft Windows 10 by following instructions from the link sent in my previous post?.

If you have, then please contact HP phone support to order recovery media for this PC first.  Then use the recovery media to reinstall Windows and check if the issue gets resolved. Now check for issue resolution.

If it continues, then there is more to it than meets the eye. The computer's hardware could be faulty. So, please contact HP phone support to get the computer repaired. I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind without beating around the bush.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: https://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have tried all the steps listed, though some are not relevant as cannot even get windows 10 installed,

laptop reboots at random interval.

Have run extensive tests from  HP diags and all test pass.

Not sure why you have mentioned Printer diagnostics as  this is a PC SOftware install...

Look forward to  hearing back what the next steps are as i have run out of ideas,

and ive been in IT support for over 30 years..

Regards

Steve

HP Recommended

@Cmoss,

I have reviewed the post. The best route to go now is to order recovery media from Hp and try and install it.

Then check if it works.I meant the computer and not the printer. That has been corrected.

If the issue continues, then contact them to get the computer repaired. Now trust me I've done al I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. You have been a valued HP customer and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you.

Let me know how it goes. if this helps, to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed year ahead. Stay healthy and smile big 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David,

can you tell me if the  HP recovery media is different to the HP Diags or a HP 10 Install  / recovery disc ?

Any idea how the laptop can pass all the Extended tests but still have a problem installing windows  ?

maybe a drivers issue  when installing windows?

Iit also wont allow a boot to Safe Mode 

as i guess winodows hasnt been fully installed or the driver issue stop it,

even thuogh running a sfc /  scannow   says windows files are complete.

Its a real shame because this was a very good touchscreen laptop 

until this problem occurred and now  its only fit for the bin.

Regards

Steve

thx

Steve

HP Recommended

@Cmoss,

I read the response. The HP recovery media contains the image of the computer that you were using when you first got it from the factory. It restores the computer to its original factory settings and reinstalls the original Windows operating system version that came with the computer when you first bought it.

If you did a Windows 10 upgrade, later on, you should still be able to do it without a charge. 

Hope this answers your question.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI David,

ok thanks for your help.

How do i go about ordering the HP recovery media for my laptop ?

I assume its free and can be downloaded ?

thx

Steve

HP Recommended

@Cmoss,

I read your reply. Thanks for the persistence.

Please contact HP phone support to order recovery media by following these steps:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: https://hp.care/2r9wSvP

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.