Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP MINI 210-2040BR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Notebook running Windows 10-64 for a long time. Then some seconds after starting screen goes black , keyboard and mouse does not operate. Must turn off manually. Same problem again and again. HD and memory tested OK. Boot from pendrive with UBUNTU everything run fine. I have tried to reinstall Windows under safe mode. It went fine till restart when message said cannot run in safe mode. Then resstartin in normal mode it freezes with black screen.  

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@HenriqueO Welcome to HP Forums Community!

I suggest you start with a hard reset to release any excessive static on the device that could be causing this issue: Click here for steps

Once done, please backup all personal data on an external storage device and perform a system reset as it works fine on Ubuntu and that goes to show that the issue is Windows related, a reset to should fix the same: Click here for details.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, did as per your instructios, no way. Windows 10 starts normally but after one or two minutes a clik sounds and screen goes blank.  Freeze. Cooler keeps running, mouse, touch pad and keyboard do not.  Must turn off by button.

HP Recommended

@HenriqueO I suggest you perform a hardware test on the PC to be on a safer side, use the below steps to get that done:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

If the tests pass, please order a recovery media (Click here) and use that to install a fresh copy of windows on your device (Click here for details).

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, did as you said... upon pressing F2 a message is shown:  "The HP Bios application selected is corrupted or missing. Please install the application and try again. Bios Aplication Error (501)" . I then pressed F2  again and memory test starts and end as "pass".  Then HD test starts and end as "pass". Turn off PC and restart as you said. Everything runs the same. It seems to me it is a bug in BIOS. I tried to get an updated BIOS in the HP Support site but it says there is no BIOS or drivers available for the HP Mini 210-2000. 

HP Recommended

I let machine running test for the last 12 hours. The test runs fine , firstly memory an then hard disk . Ends with "Hard Disk Test Passed" and starts automatically over again with same results. 

HP Recommended

@HenriqueO for the BIOS application error, I suggest performing a BIOS recovery using the steps mentioned in this link: Click here for details,

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher, thank you very much for your attention and orientation.  Following your directions I updated BIOS from F14 to F24. However, problem was not solved. Machine keeps freezing after a while with a sound click and screen going black. As Windows 10 64bit starts normally I can fastly perform some activity before freezing: event viewer shows WINDOWS system error 10016 saying:  "not getting Local Activation permission for COM server application with CLSID (8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919) and APPID (F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169) to NT Authority\System SID (S-1-5-18)...  Source: DistributedCOM.

(sorry for the poor translation of the message I received is in Portuguese!)

A friend suggested the problem could be overheating. CPU cooler however is running fine.

May I have your comments once more? TIA.

HP Recommended

@HenriqueO The link has steps to recover the last working BIOS, if you've attempted that and then update the BIOS, yet the issue persists, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options:

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.