Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-bc202nq
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have left the laptop on battery to work for some hours and I found it turned off and now it doesn't start anymore. What happened with details:
-click on power button didn't do anything so I assumed the battery was finished so I have plugged in the charger
-after 10 seconds it didn't start so I left it to charge till the light was white so it was charged and tried again to start it
-I have tried multiple times to start and it did start eventually and looked fine as I logged in on my windows 10. After I have opened a chrome page though the screen got black and the caps lock button started to blink - 5 long and 3 short. I have forced close the laptop and started to search online. The error found on the net was about bios (though it closed while I was on chrome - so already passed bios and on win 10)
-After couple of hours I managed to start again windows and I have update HP support app and that app suggested me bios update and an app update. I have updated the hp app and after that I have updated BIOS. All was fine till then

-after the Bios update I have started some tests (on boot options) All were fine (with passed) - I have made symptom tests 7 (so fasts tests) and after that also Extensive Test. All Passed (with no errors).

After all those tests though the laptop doesn't open anymore. It just doesn't start and no caps lock messages...

What do you think I should try? The warranty ended on Oct 2019 sadly...

Many thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi
Depending on the age of the PC and the BIOS vendor...
The 4th, 5th and 6th characters of the Serial Number give the age when it went thru the factory...
EGG345FLAN That is 2013 45 th week.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

Beep2015.pngHi
Hopefully one of these documents will cover (and solve) your problem...
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00042629
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04126730

HP Recommended

Hi,
Thanks for your message.
Serial number has 7 + 23 so it should be 2017 week 23  (I bought it on Oct 2017 as a new one)
Now the laptop doesn't do anything when I click on power button so I can not do links 1/3 with bios update/check - and it doesn't start with instruction from link 2 (neither win+b nor win+v) - but I will try again and come-back if success.
Any other info you might say please feel free to write it and thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03518165

This will not work for everyone, but you may be lucky?
HP Notebooks and Mobile Workstations -
No Power, No Boot, No Display When Power Button Is Pressed

NOTE: Be sure the battery is installed in the computer and it has sufficient power before continuing. Due to the design of the Embedded Controller/Keyboard Controller, the power supply must be disconnected and the computer must be powered with battery power to reset the Embedded Controller/Keyboard Controller.

Unplug the AC power from the computer.
Press and hold the power button for more than 12 seconds.
Release the power button (after at least 12 seconds).
The computer will power on and should boot normally after releasing the power button.
Re-connect the AC power to the computer.

NOTE: In case the battery is not charging after performing the steps to reset the Embedded Controller, unplug and re-plug in the AC power again.

HP Recommended

Hi,
I have tried multiple times to start it with no luck. With and most of the time without AC power (because I saw that also that it started when no AC power was plugged in in my past attempts) but the laptop do not want to start anymore (though before bios update and those tests made on boot/hp environment I could at least open the laptop).
Later Edit (ignore this phrase as there is a manual on HP product page): I want to try to disassembly it to try removing ssd, hdd (for data backup and recover) and maybe also the battery but I can not find a disassembly manual - is there anyway public a such information?

Many thanks once again.

HP Recommended

Hi again,
Disassembled and assembled back and it's the same issue. The power button sometimes make white (for a second or 4 seconds) but no vent, no caps lock warnings, no sound warnings and it doesn't start.
I have tested the sata3 hdd - is visible on other computer, I have made a ram reset - removing the blanks and put them back (I saw a such recommendation on a movie from hp page) but I could not test the m2-ssd cause I don't have for the moment a m2-sata interface adapter...
What tests do you recommend me to do (if any)? It's advisable to try to start the laptop without hdd or ssd? Or without battery - but just with AC adapter?  On desktop such tests don't do harm but I don't know if on (this) laptop it is the same...

HP Recommended

Sorry but it is beyond me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.