Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15T-AU100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking to replace my battery for my Pavilion 15T-AU100 and have bought several 3rd party replacements off Amazon.com that have great ratings and seem to be identical to the one I have and even one that is made by HP, but no of them are able to boot the computer after installation. I reinstall the old battery and it boots.

Is there something I need to do to the computer for it to allow the new battery?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @SethJohn111 .
Do you know what is the part number of the batteries you purchased? If so, please contact us, because it is possible that the batteries are not compatible with your equipment, or it is likely that the battery voltage has dropped so low that it will not work, so that is why the equipment does not detect the battery.

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, here is a link to a picture of the two batteries side by side. The left one is the original and the right one is the purchased replacement. It looks as if they are completely identical apart from the bar code sticker in the bottom left. They both have the same specs and the same "HP part number 849569-541"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lhOJofvQ23uuvz42fYmmsvishQ7Btqf-/view?usp=sharing

HP Recommended

@SethJohn111 .

If the LED lights do not illuminate with the equipment disconnected from power, then the battery is very low or discharged. Diagnose the power problem by charging the battery and checking the AC adapter.
Charge the battery:
1. plug in the AC adapter and check to see if the battery power LED lights.
2. Allow the battery to charge for 15 to 30 minutes with the computer turned off and no devices connected to it such as external usb drives either USB flash drives or cables.
3. Try to turn on the computer.
o If the equipment starts: Run a battery test and calibrate the battery manually. For more information on how to calibrate the battery in the recommended manner I have suggested, go to Battery Test and Calibration (Windows).
o It is likely that you have lowered the battery voltage so low that it will not work, so that is why the computer is not detecting the battery.

If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the advice @GOLD_MASTER 

Here's what I did, I charged the new battery to full and tried to turn on the computer, no boot, no LED lights.

I took out the new one and placed in the old one and the computer botted right up. I tested the old battery using the "test the battery before windows starts" method and it said the old battery was "weak" and the AC adapter "passed".

While the power cable was still connected I turned off the computer and plugged in the new battery and the computer booted. I then tested the new battery and everything was "passed". I was able to restart the computer and turn it on and off with the new battery in it, but as soon as I closed the lid of the laptop, I was unable to turn on the laptop again. I dismantled the computer again and followed the same steps as before to get the new battery to work and the same thing happened. It worked fine but if the lid closed, it would never turn back on. Could this be something do with a shortage that is triggered by opening and closing the lid? Also I did a system diagnostics when I was testing the batteries and it told me I had a Hard Drive Short DST Failure, ID: 6C3U3T-8B8B0D-MFPX6K-60UQ03. Could this be affecting it?

HP Recommended

After further working with the laptop I installed any pending Windows 10 updates and downloaded HP Support Assistant. Using the HP Battery Check using the software, no battery was detected. This makes sense, but the new battery is still able to run the computer without AC adapter. Even in the taskbar it shows the battery and its charge and whether or not its plugged in. I don't understand why its not reading the new battery.

HP Recommended

@SethJohn111 .

Is the bios updated?

The error ID you have reported means that you should replace the hard drive as it has a mechanical or logical failure, and there may come a time when it will stop working completely.

HP Recommended

My BIOS is not updated, no. I downloaded the newest version on hp.com using the device detector and driver detector tools. When I ran the software it said "this bios update is blocked on this device". I could not find a solution for this so I tried to use a USB drive. However, the "windows + b key" startup method didn't read by USB drive and the f2 UEFI firmware management method didn't show the "firmware management" button. 

I received a new hard drive and installed windows on it with the same USB drive so I don't think it's the USB drive, unless it is.

Is there another way to update my BIOS or to unblock my device?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.