Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion G6

My friend has a Pavilion G6 with AMD processor on it.  I look at HP site and only see Windows 8 drivers.  Can it run Windows 7?  I tried the Windows 8 drivers and they don't work on Windows 7.

tx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your HP Pavilion g7-2240nr Notebook Computer, is basically the same as my sister-in-law's HP Pavilion g6-2210us Notebook Computer. The Windows 8 64-bit drivers listed for both computers are exactly the same. I installed Windows 7 64-bit on her computer back in Febuary 2013 and used the following multi-sourced drivers;

AMD Chipset Drivers (Chipset, SATA/RAID, USB 3.0)

AMD Catalyst Display Driver

Realtek FE Family LAN Driver <select 2nd item under Windows>

Realtek PCIe RTS5229 Card Reader Driver <select 1st item under Windows>

HP sp54972 Atheros 5xxx/9xxx WLAN Driver

HP sp59620 IDT HD Audio Driver

HP sp58539 Synaptics PS2 Touchpad Driver

HP sp60051 CoolSense

and from Windows Update "HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor"

It is possible that the WLAN chipset on your machine is different and may require different drivers.

I also update updated the Synaptics TouchPad Driver to v17.0.19 from the Synaptics website. Some of the above drivers may require the HP Software Framework sp59202. Additionally, the WebCam requires the "VideoCM" package from the "SWsetup" folder in the original Windows 8 install and CyberLink YouCam sp59986.

When finished, there were no unknown device on her system.

Some of the above listed drivers may be outdated, no longer point to valid downloads, etc. After the above drivers are installed... please post (just the text) the Windows Device Manager's "Hardware Ids" for all remaining missing and/or unknown devices, as shown in the example below and we can direct you to the proper drivers;

device manager.png

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Slam.

To better help you we would need the exact model number or product number of your laptop/desktop???

REO

HP Recommended

2240nr. Thanks 

HP Recommended

Your HP Pavilion g7-2240nr Notebook Computer, is basically the same as my sister-in-law's HP Pavilion g6-2210us Notebook Computer. The Windows 8 64-bit drivers listed for both computers are exactly the same. I installed Windows 7 64-bit on her computer back in Febuary 2013 and used the following multi-sourced drivers;

AMD Chipset Drivers (Chipset, SATA/RAID, USB 3.0)

AMD Catalyst Display Driver

Realtek FE Family LAN Driver <select 2nd item under Windows>

Realtek PCIe RTS5229 Card Reader Driver <select 1st item under Windows>

HP sp54972 Atheros 5xxx/9xxx WLAN Driver

HP sp59620 IDT HD Audio Driver

HP sp58539 Synaptics PS2 Touchpad Driver

HP sp60051 CoolSense

and from Windows Update "HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor"

It is possible that the WLAN chipset on your machine is different and may require different drivers.

I also update updated the Synaptics TouchPad Driver to v17.0.19 from the Synaptics website. Some of the above drivers may require the HP Software Framework sp59202. Additionally, the WebCam requires the "VideoCM" package from the "SWsetup" folder in the original Windows 8 install and CyberLink YouCam sp59986.

When finished, there were no unknown device on her system.

Some of the above listed drivers may be outdated, no longer point to valid downloads, etc. After the above drivers are installed... please post (just the text) the Windows Device Manager's "Hardware Ids" for all remaining missing and/or unknown devices, as shown in the example below and we can direct you to the proper drivers;

device manager.png

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

ok, thanks a lot.  i just wish HP will give us an offical set of drivers.  It is a PAIN!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.