Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Over the past year I have had my laptop computer, a Pavilion g7 Windows 8, and it has been fine for about 5 months, but after that it started to overheat at times and give me the link www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup to help. After that it has become more frequent and it shuts off 2-5 times a day. Depending on how long it has been used. I'd appreciate it if you could help fix it, with out buying another computer. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi  AG12345,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Pavilion g7 Notebook and overheating and shutting down. Here is a link to overheating as this might be the cause of the shutting down. If the Notebook has dust on the fans it could be overheating. If that does not help at the end of this document it shows you to do a hardware test. The final thing you should try is to update the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi  AG12345,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Pavilion g7 Notebook and overheating and shutting down. Here is a link to overheating as this might be the cause of the shutting down. If the Notebook has dust on the fans it could be overheating. If that does not help at the end of this document it shows you to do a hardware test. The final thing you should try is to update the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

The problem is Windows 8, not your computer.

I got the same problem immidietly aftert installing Windows 8.1. Went back to Windows 7 and problem was gone.

I know microsoft probably puts the blame on drivers and BIOS, but believe you me - it is Windows 8. Just google it and be horrified by the tons of results from people experiencing the same problem.

HP Recommended

I have had the same issue even in windows 10.  Here is a fix I found that worked good.  I had high temps of 102-107c under normal temps.  Unfortunatly HP didn't include the best thermal paste / cooler for this model.  If you have an expired warranty then removing the backplate and replace the thermal paste is the best solution.

You can find laptop teardown video's on Youtube.  Once you have your CPU/GPU exposed with the heatsink showing the best thing to do is clean them up good.  Then use 1 strip of electrical tape to cover any exposed contact poitns around the cpu/gpu.  Once this is complete add the Liquid Metal Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, spread it out and make sure to put a thin layer on the heatsink also.  Once complete you have your heatsink attached to the cpu/gpu again.  Good time to clean out the fan or replace it if not working right, you can order the parts off ebay or HP sometimes cheap under $10.  Clean out all the dust.  Reassemble.

I was able to reduce my heat on load from over 100+c  to 70-80c max under load.   The tape will not melt or have issues as long as your computer dosn't go over 105c, I would replace the thermal paste ever one to two years, but clean out your vents every month is a good idea.

*** Warning Liquid Metal can fry your laptop so be very very very careful when applying and if you don't trust yourself get Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which is non conductive.  However you might only get a reduction of 5-10c versus the higher amount from the liquid metal.  ***

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Thermal Grease Paste from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Conductonaut-Grease-Paste/dp/B01A9KIGSI

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly-Kryonaut-Grease-Paste/dp/B011F7W3LU/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UT...

Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl Electrical Tape from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Electrical-75-Inch-66-Foot-0-007-Inch/dp/B00004WCCL/ref=sr_1_2?s=indus...

*** Note: Don't try this if you have a warranty it will void it, make sure to do your research and remember if you brick your computer don't blame others.  Yes I have bricked 1 laptop using the Liquid Metal of many I have done it will teach you to be very careful in the future.  ***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.