Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavillion I tried to use recently and it will not make it to my desktop, it gets as far as my name/password screen which was previously disabled, when I press enter it acts if it will work then my name comes up, clearly legible, on a blurred  screen (see attached). Then thats it... nothing more. Any advicepavillion screen.jpg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @scotiapc,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are unable to log in to your desktop screen on your HP Pavillion laptop. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

This is happening because Windows cannot start/boot. It may be caused due to hardware problem (e.g. your HDD) or it may be caused by a faulty Windows Update or some other faulty update/driver/program.

Let's perform a hard reset:

• Power off the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop and check.

If it doesn't, perform some basic hardware checks to rule out a hardware problem

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button (press and hold for a few seconds until the PC powers off)

2. Power the computer back on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware components for issues (do it just in case). Here is more info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD (hard disk drive) and RAM checks (memory check).

If the tests pass without issues, continue:

Repeat steps 1-2 above but when the HP Startup menu opens, please choose F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from its recovery partition to open various recovery options. Note, that the F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have plenty of options to choose from. Every HP computer comes with a recovery partition present to assist in tough moments.

Please, perform "System Restore" first in an attempt to fix the issue. Please, restore back to previous days (restore point) where the issue was not present. Here is more info:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545#AbT5

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.