Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there

My Pavilion 15 is just about two months old and I had had no issues with it in that time until last Saturday when it started running incredibly slowly. I checked the task manager which showed that 60% of the physical memory was in use. Since then the memory usage has fluctuated between 50 and 70%. This seems odd as there only ever a couple of applications running.

I've rolled back the laptop to a previous save point and also used Fresh Start on Windows10 and this had no effect. I've followed the HP support guidance on slow performance and again this did not resolve anything.

Things seem to be running normally at the moment but I was wondering whether the high level of physical memory usage was normal or indicative that there is an issue somewhere.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Tim

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @TimC66 

It is normal if there is something running. Usually there is.

It is not an indication of an issue - it is an indication that there is something going on (which is not necessary an issue)

If it happens again, you may be able to investigate using Task Manager by sorting the usage by memory for example. Here is the complete Task Manager guide >> https://www.howtogeek.com/405806/windows-task-manager-the-complete-guide/

img_5c9aa895b7f8b.png

Windows 10 is very "talkative" operating system - it updates itself automatically, it checks for updates, it sends telemetry and statistics. Additionally, you may have some other app which takes resources. It's a matter of investigation what takes the resources at that particular moment.

Hope this helps

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi

Many thanks for the reply. It seems that I was worrying unnecessarily. Thank you for the helpful information and your time.

All best wishes

Tim

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.