Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

hi  itsmyname I agree with you Ifigured it was to try first before replacing the ram 

but if that didn't work first the next step is to replace the ram in a pair and to go to his/her max amount of ram

If he has 4 x2 then go to next 8x2 ram sticks to get the right ram he should go to crutial they would have the right ones

for his machine but everything I told him would also help his situation would give him added speed as well

atleast crutial is reasonable on price I have delt with them twice before and changing the ram sticks won't affect his machine

it will only help him with his problem 

I appreciate your thoughts on this

HP Recommended

@birdsinatree -- does your computer really need 16 GB of RAM?

Definitely, 4 GB of RAM is a reasonable amount of RAM, if your computer is an "appliance" -- E-mail & web-browsing, but 8 GB is better. I think that purchasing 16 GB of RAM (two 8 GB sticks) when all your really need is to replace one 4GB stick would be wasting your money.

When running your programs, open the Windows "Task Manager", and switch to its "Performance" tab, to see how much of your current 4 GB (of "good" RAM) is being used. If the amount is close to 4 GB, find a computer-store that has two 8 GB sticks. Buy one, and "reserve" the other one for 24 hours. Remove your 4 GB stick, and add the 8 GB stick, and check again on that "Performance" tab. My expectation is that your computer won't be using much more than 4 GB, which implies that you do not need to buy that "reserved" stick.

HP Recommended

Hi itsmyname no my machine really does not need it but it gives me more room because I play video games on it 

plus I added to programs to help control the heat I also had to redo the thermal paste on my cpu and reseat it and also had to replace the cooling fan because it was dragging so everything was being slowed down and heat was going way to 95 degrees

so I had to do something about before some of my hardware got burnt 

Now I can keep temp at 8.00 I can't ask for better than that

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.