Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProBook 6650b
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Greetings and Salutations good men and women of the awesome computing community.  Well guess what ? I just bought a slightly or I should say lightly used ProoBook.  Just about the nicest thing I remember ever owning.  Well I just got her home and was wanting to look under the hood and SNAP! She wants the PW before I get to look in there.  So I am now at the mercy of you fine people and hope that perhaps you can help me out.  I really want to get in there.  Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I Really want to thank you folks for being out here for some of us more intellectually or digitaly challanged. I have very little in the way of worldly things but I have a boat load of gratitude for all of you.  Again Thanks and keep on with your good work. I will take your advice I beleive their is an old copy of  7 Ultimate 64bit around here somewhere.  Peace.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome !

If you are not sure about the password, you can use a website called www.bios-pw.org  which will help you unlock the BIOS access and enter the BIOS.

I

f this is used computer, I stronly recommend you also reinstall the operating system with your own version of operating system (e.g. clean installation of Windows). For security reasons it is recommended that you format the HDD and perform clean installation of the operating system - you never know for sure what the previous owner has done on the computer without clean reinstallation.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I Really want to thank you folks for being out here for some of us more intellectually or digitaly challanged. I have very little in the way of worldly things but I have a boat load of gratitude for all of you.  Again Thanks and keep on with your good work. I will take your advice I beleive their is an old copy of  7 Ultimate 64bit around here somewhere.  Peace.

HP Recommended

PR.

Is it a power-on password or BIOS password???

REO

HP Recommended

Thank you for reponding to my troubles, I so much appreciate it.

It is the BIOS Administrator Password I usume that is the  associated with the BIOS flash pw.  In the beginning I had no access to the BIOS at all. . . only option was the Administrator for which I have not.  I installed 'HP protect tool Administrator Console' and then at the BIOS login screen below the Administaor was added  'TECHNOW4\PAUL'  I selected that of course and used my login for this pc and I was in.  But without being able to crack the Admin password I can't flash. it would seem this machine is all about security.  

Thanks

HP Recommended

Prose.

Contact HP and they should be able to send you a customized SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/contact_us.html

When talking to the HP rep ask them to escalate your service request.

Or download these files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zu4kdgxm052l87d/AAAMi-kfX4AVH8oTCbsOM4X9a?dl=0

Insert clean USB flash drive.

Then run USB Image tool.

Choose the flash drive then click on RESTORE.

After restore remove flash drive.

Insert flash drive into locked laptop and boot. ”If HDD is installed remove before booting.”

At C:\OUTPUT   type CD..  “Then hit enter”

Type HPBR   “Then hit enter”

First thing is to save your settings.

Select #3 re-program.

Press “S” to save system information.

Type HPBR and hit enter.

Select   “FIRST RUN”

Then select model.

After reboot repeat same as above but this time SELECT “SECOND RUN”

Some instructions here. “If you cannot boot from USB there are instructions to make a bootable HDD.”

http://mazzifsoftware.blogspot.com/2014/01/hp-bios​​-unlock-for-dos.html

More here.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/49497-HP-​​Probook-Elitebook-BIOS-Password-Reset-Utility

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

HP Recommended

I contacted hp support and they ( the tech ) lacked no compunction in telling me i'm out of warranty and will not help.  gave me a bad addess to a local hp store.  guess ill have to find a work aound thank you for you time and troubles.

HP Recommended

.thank you . . . Ill let you know

HP Recommended

I just got a replacement BIOS chip It Has everything  updated to my model except no password .  I got to say that this chip is tiny. like doimg micro surgery.  So befor I expose my motherboard to a hot iron I think I'll try the fix tha that you provided upbove and  well  . . .   I guess I'll let you know  

thank you so much.

HP Recommended

REO You are the MAN!   I WILL NOT be putting a hot iron to my mainboard thanks to you!  I followed your instuctions.  Ran into perhaps one hickup but on I went, I carried on.  After the process I put everything back together and  my BIOS was begging me for a password.  I am now the ruler of my wares and I owe it all  to you.  Thank you  Sir.  Ill tell you Im not rich or even that smart but I know quality, your sir are all that.  I am impressed infact Im compressed.  Sure wish you were local so I could buy you a beer!  I admire you skills and knowhow. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.