Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had this new laptop for less than a month.  It seems to work okay overall, except there are often troubling symptoms when I try to wake the computer from sleep mode.  This mainly seems to happen when I close the lid and try to wake it up later while on battery power.  Sometimes it turns on as expected, but at least a couple of times I have gotten the blue screen of death.  The first time the computer reset itself successfully.  This latest time the computer got hung up on the restart screen (black screen with the HP logo and spinning circle).  I eventually had to force reset it by holding down the power button for 15 seconds.  Other times the computer will wake up if I tap the power button, but not just by opening the lid.  One time it seemed to wake up fine, but nothing could get the touchpad to "wake up"/work, aside from restarting the whole computer.  None of these problems seem to happen (so far) if I leave the computer plugged in the whole time.

I  went to the Device Manager to see if I could update the BIOS, or the keyboard, or the touchpad, but it says everything is already up to date.  All of my power settings appear to be in order (identical settings for plugged and battery power), and anyway the intermittent nature of these symptoms should be evidence of this.  I am discouraged that such a new computer is already having these problems.  I had sworn off of HP laptops for about the last decade (since prior ones always had heat issues), but I was hoping quality had improved with time.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Elana-K
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

• Step 1: Restart the computer
  • Step 2: Enable the keyboard to wake the computer
  • Step 4: Check for updates from HP
  • Step 5: Troubleshoot using the Windows Power troubleshooter Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03383935 to complete the troubleshooting steps. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I did see that webpage before I made my post.  As I mentioned, this is basically a brand new computer, so I don't believe there have been any updates other than what the computer may have installed immediately when it was initially set up.  The computer has been restarted/turned off several times, but the problem is intermittent.  Restarting when the problem occurs will fix it (temporarily), but it does not prevent it from happening again.  The keyboard is enabled to wake the computer.  No updates are available from HP.  The Windows Power troubleshooter didn't find any problems.

HP Recommended

@Elana-K

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try a few more methods:

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: ( do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating ) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There was no Windows update as of this morning, but I found one this evening (via "Check for Updates" from the Start menu) and installed it.  I'm not sure if this update relates to my problem, but I guess time will tell.  The HP Support Assistant did not find any updates for me.  My BIOS is already version F.03 and no further updates are available.  Since the problem does not happen all of the time, it is hard to test if it has been resolved.  I am just worried (and suspect) it may be an issue with the hardware; not sure if others have also had this problem.

HP Recommended

@Elana-K

Appreciate you trying the steps. Please work on the computer and if the issue re-occurs, please let us know here. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.