Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8570w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hi,
I bought this laptop from a company.
Behind the battery I saw a Windows certificate with its product key.
I bought only the laptop without OS but I'm wondering if I can use its product key for a new Windows installation.

Do you know something about this topic?

Thank you,
Bye.
Carlo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is correct.

The W7 Pro license is tied to that specific PC.

You can sell/give/transfer that PC to as many end users as you want legally, and reuse that product key as many times as needed.

You cannot transfer the OEM operating system to another PC.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, Carlo:

Yes, you should be able to use the Windows 7 product key on a new installation of Windows, as long as it is the same version the key is.

You can try making your own plain W7 Pro installation media as follows...

I assume Pro, since it is a business class PC.

Click on the Windows ISO Downloader.exe link to download the tool to create the W7 ISO file download.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-downl...

I have zipped up and attached the Microsoft utility below, that will allow you to either put the file on a USB flash drive or burn it to a DVD.

Then you can install the drivers and available software you need from your PC's support page.

HP Recommended
Hi Paul_Tikkanen,
Thanks a lot for your help.

My main concern is about legal.
From technical point of view I understand it works but do you know if buying only the laptop I also have the legal right to use the product key I found on the laptop?

Thanks again.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, it is completely legal to use the W7 OEM product key to activate windows 7 on that specific PC.

What is not legal is to use the key on another PC, since it is an OEM key.

HP Recommended
If I've well understood, buying the laptop, it's like I bought also a Windows license, right?
HP Recommended

That is correct.

The W7 Pro license is tied to that specific PC.

You can sell/give/transfer that PC to as many end users as you want legally, and reuse that product key as many times as needed.

You cannot transfer the OEM operating system to another PC.

HP Recommended
Very good news!
Thanks so much for your support Paul_Tikkanen.
Have a good day.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Carlo.

You have a good day too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.