Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

6/20/2019:

Thanks from a long-time owner that decided to upgrade his notebook.

Your steps were right-on and simple to follow. Thank-you again!

Now onto the co-processor issue, and then fight the problem of no network access, even when

I install a USB WiFi card.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It is actually not the wifi adapter that is dead.  It is the slot the card plugs into that is dead.

A common issue on the models with the nvidia chipset and graphics.

However, I have no clue why a USB wifi adapter wouldn't work.  The bad wifi card slot would have no bearing on that.

OK, I the product number you posted does not provide any info, so I will have to give you two choices of drivers to install.

Try this one first...

Download and run this driver.

It usually will not automatically install the coprocessor device, but if by some chance it does, great.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36079.exe

If it doesn't...you have to manually install the driver as follows...

Go to the device manager and click on the coprocessor device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver. Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp36079.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What is the full model number or product number of your dv9000?

The product number can be found on the same label as the serial number.

Please do not post the serial number.

I should be able to help you get the coprocessor driver installed.

It has to be manually installed.

HP Recommended

Wow, and thanks. I somewhat didn't expect this thread to be monitored anymore.

On the tag it literally says dv9000    p/n EW68DAV

If you could point to the correct driver I should be able to handle it from there.

Oh, looks like the wireless adapter in the notebook is dead, Ethernet cable works, So I am good on that part.

Cajunmanray

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It is actually not the wifi adapter that is dead.  It is the slot the card plugs into that is dead.

A common issue on the models with the nvidia chipset and graphics.

However, I have no clue why a USB wifi adapter wouldn't work.  The bad wifi card slot would have no bearing on that.

OK, I the product number you posted does not provide any info, so I will have to give you two choices of drivers to install.

Try this one first...

Download and run this driver.

It usually will not automatically install the coprocessor device, but if by some chance it does, great.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36079.exe

If it doesn't...you have to manually install the driver as follows...

Go to the device manager and click on the coprocessor device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver. Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp36079.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

Got ALL devices up and running.

And, due to your assistance, even the co-processor.

One last question.

What is the best display driver for this unit?

Right now it us using 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'

It works, but I cannot view a full-motion video without it frame-pausing.

Thanks again

(and, yes, I concur about no good reason a USB WiFi adapter should have not worked.)

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post the hardware ID for the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter so I can figure out what is the best driver to use for it.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

Paul;

Once again, thanks.

When I got the notebook up on network I used it (I was using my desktop to get drivers, put on USB drive and carry over) I to get to HP support. I think I got it loaded properly. The basic windows display is better, but unfortunately motion video is not karma today.

The display adapter shows GeForce 6150 12/3/08 Version 7.15.11.7713.  If this is not optimum let me know.  BTW, have 2048 MB memory installed, so that should not be issue.

I will add that overall performance is kludgy on I/O's. Basic windows stuff seems to be flying along OK, but web and video stuff is definitely struggling. 

I am thinking that W-10 is just too much for the notebook to handle.

Your thoughts?

The person I am giving the notebook to a woman who has a disabled husband and special-needs son. I suspect they will only use it for internet, so my belief is that it will be welcome and used. So if this is it, I am happy to gift it to them, it was in my closet unused and it is what it is.

Once again, thanks for your excellent support.

Cajunmanray

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

What you have already installed is the best driver you can install for that graphics adapter.

Yes, W10 64 bit with only 2 GB of memory is a bit much for that old model PC, which HP didn't even support for W7.

I'm glad that you were able to repurpose the PC, and give it to a family that will be happy to get it.

As long as they can use it with an ethernet cable, it should be sufficient for their needs.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.