Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

i upgraded my laptop with a ssd (HP PAVILLION DV7)

should i need to install the 

Unknown Device:  

This package provides HP 3D DriveGuard for the supported notebook models and operating systems. HP 3D DriveGuard receives notifications from the integrated accelerometer and protects the hard drive (HDD) by automatically "parking the heads" to reduce the risk of damage if the notebook is accidentally bumped or dropped.

is it good to install

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

What I do is this on my PC's that have SSD's and I have the unknown 3D driveguard device.

Install this free file utility.  The 2nd link at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

Then download and save but DO NOT run the 3D driveguard driver from your notebook's support page, or use this one, which was the last driver version released.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

Right click on the 3d Driveguard driver file.

Select 7-Zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  And let it extract the driver file into its folder name (sp#####).

Once that is done, go to the device manager.  Click on the 3D driveguard device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver will install.

Then restart the PC.

With this method, you have the device installed but no software to control the device.

You just get an error-free device manager.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.