Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello!  I just installed HP Officejet 4650.  I reinstalled ....  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-4650-all-in-one-printer-series/5447930/...   I did this hoping to be given on 'computer' screen control of the scan feature on this All-in-One device.  Am still not seeing any computer options for scanning.  Only control I have found is on the AiOne screen.  If that's the only option I have I will be very disappointed.  10 year old HP C6180 had 'Solution Center' where scan options were selected etc.  I ran the disk before I downloaded the driver from address on top row which made no apparent additions to options.  Am I just SOL or am I overlooking something?

ALSO.....  I am showing HP Setup Manager icon in quick launch bar.  Don't remember when or how this got there.  When I click on it it opens in 'User Account Control', the program name is hpDST.exe and it says Publisher is Unknown, and the box is flashing.  I was looking elsewhere and what I understand is this program is for Windows 10 & I am running Windows 7 SP1.  Should I run this.  Will running this allow me to download Windows Updates.  Haven't been able to download updates for months.  Is the program "remo Optimizer" a good or safe fix.  First one I saw.

Would greatly appreciate help with any or all of these questions.  Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, once the printer software is reinstalled, you can use the printer assistant (icon of the printer with the model number) which will be placed on the desktop of your computer. 

Keep me posted. Good luck. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings @JamesVI4962

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue with your printer where you are unable to scan and are looking to know if HPDST is not trusted.

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Are you able to make a copy on the printer?

What is the operating system installed on your computer?

How is the printer connected to your computer?

Found this HP Forums post to answer your concern about HPDST.exe.

Regarding the scan feature not working, you can uninstall the printer software and settings from your computer by following the exact procedure mentioned below and then install it back on your computer. 

Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files, ignore them).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.

Connect/power on the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Chimney_83,

Got your instructions.  Thanks so much!  I will follow these asap and let you know if they solve the problem.  If I'm understanding correctly, this uninstall/reinstall solution should give me the options I am missing, namely computer screen control of the All-in-One.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, once the printer software is reinstalled, you can use the printer assistant (icon of the printer with the model number) which will be placed on the desktop of your computer. 

Keep me posted. Good luck. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Chimney_83,

Man, I am such a doofus sometime, more times than I like to think about.  The icon of the printer was already on my screen, amidst a couple dozen others.  I'm a hoarder, what can I say.  I need to clean my screen up some.  BUT, I do not remember seeing instructions to expect or look for the icon on my screen.  I have made a mountain out of a molehill.  Thanks for helping me knock it down.

HP Recommended

Not to worry, glad to hear that your printer is working fine. 

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.