Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Notebook HP 250 G5
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I got an HP 250 G5 notebook with Windows 7 Professional 64 installed and activated by the manufacturer (as it is possible through downgrade rights from Windows 10 Pro 64).

No Producy Key is available, though, being placed only in firmware, I presume, for the Windows 10 derivation.

So, the question is if it is in theory possible to re-install Windows 10 Pro 64, with only the original rights and virtual product key, and in which of these ways:

Clean install of the OS, with loss of pre-installed programs;

Upgrade of the OS;

Dual boot system, in case.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

lzram

I have been told by Provosts on this forum that the Downgrade rights on a Win10 PC must be exercised at the factory -- before the PC is shipped -- and is not something a consumer can exercise after they receive the product.

But I am not an expert in this area, and you should probably check with HP Customer Support about this (contact information is below).

The Win10 license information was embedded into the UEFI firmware of the PC when it was built -- so it's still there.  But, I have been told that it will ONLY work with the HP OEM version of Win10 -- which you can NOT download from Microsoft.

So, if you wanted to return to Win10, you would have to get Recovery Media from HP to do that.

What is NOT legal is using the same license for two different versions of the OS -- which is what happens when folks upgrade from Win7/8 to Win10 on a PC but retain the older working OS.  

You said you had downgrade rights, so of course, that is the same restriction in that you can't run an HP OEM Win7 OS and and HP OEM Win10 OS on the same PC using the same license.

If you purchase your own license, then you can use that OS in combination with the other OS, without any licensing issues.

Customer Support contact information ......................

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Izram

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Let me try to answer your questions ...

First off, the Free Upgrade of Win10 is long over, so now, you will have to PURCHASE a license to install Win10, no matter how you do it.

Second, you CAN do the Win10 Upgrade from Win7, and since HP does supply Win10 drivers for your PC, if you have any driver problems after the Upgrade, you can download the HP drivers from here:  http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=10180323&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

Third, techically, dual-boot, that is using the same license for both Win7 and Win10 on the same PC, is not legal -- as the Win10 Upgrade consumes the Win7 license.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

WAWood

Thank you very much for your answer!

But it leaves me with some uncertainty, that I try to explain.

First, I did'nt refer to the FREE upgrade to Win 10; I thought a PC  licensed for Windows 10 Pro 64, downgraded to Windows 7 Professional, maintained a right to run Windows 10. This is not true? So, if I go from Win 10 to Win 7, I will never again go to Win 10, without purchasing a new license to Win 10?

Second, it's OK, in case I will upgrade with a new license, I take note of where the HP drivers are found.

Third, I understand dual-boot is not legal, in case of a (free) upgrade. But if I have to buy a NEW license for Win 10, I think it must be possible dual-booting with old licensed Win 7.

Thank you again

HP Recommended

lzram

I have been told by Provosts on this forum that the Downgrade rights on a Win10 PC must be exercised at the factory -- before the PC is shipped -- and is not something a consumer can exercise after they receive the product.

But I am not an expert in this area, and you should probably check with HP Customer Support about this (contact information is below).

The Win10 license information was embedded into the UEFI firmware of the PC when it was built -- so it's still there.  But, I have been told that it will ONLY work with the HP OEM version of Win10 -- which you can NOT download from Microsoft.

So, if you wanted to return to Win10, you would have to get Recovery Media from HP to do that.

What is NOT legal is using the same license for two different versions of the OS -- which is what happens when folks upgrade from Win7/8 to Win10 on a PC but retain the older working OS.  

You said you had downgrade rights, so of course, that is the same restriction in that you can't run an HP OEM Win7 OS and and HP OEM Win10 OS on the same PC using the same license.

If you purchase your own license, then you can use that OS in combination with the other OS, without any licensing issues.

Customer Support contact information ......................

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Thank you WAWood for your answer. That's the information I was looking for.

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.