Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream x360 11
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So my OEM and recovery partitions were wiped from a reinstall through non-HP media. I had a repair disk for this but I lost it and now its not on the available list. How do I get another one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would have to order one from your notebook's support page if it is still available from HP.

If not, try this vendor...you must enter the exact model number or product number of the PC.

HP/Hewlett Packard and Compaq Recovery CDs brought to you by Computer Surgeons - Archives for end of...

You can always reinstall W8.1 for free by downloading the W8.1 64 bit ISO file from the link below.

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (microsoft.com)

You can use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive, so that it is bootable, or you can use a different free utility such as Rufus.

After W8.1 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would have to order one from your notebook's support page if it is still available from HP.

If not, try this vendor...you must enter the exact model number or product number of the PC.

HP/Hewlett Packard and Compaq Recovery CDs brought to you by Computer Surgeons - Archives for end of...

You can always reinstall W8.1 for free by downloading the W8.1 64 bit ISO file from the link below.

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (microsoft.com)

You can use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive, so that it is bootable, or you can use a different free utility such as Rufus.

After W8.1 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Recommended

Actually reinstalling from that ISO was all that was needed. Marking your reply as the best answer and I honestly can't thank you enough

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

oof wait. "There was a problem resetting this PC"

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with that.

The ISO file should have reinstalled W8.1 clean, and there would be no need to do a reset.

I recommend that you run the diagnostics test in the BIOS (F2) and make sure the memory and hard drive are OK.

HP Recommended

First of all.

Someone highjacked the recovery tool for HP. And I don't remember the original web site to download it. My guess they locked it.

Secondly. And I hate this part every time.

You are doing that wrong.

What you are supposed to do is enable the System Protection. To create a system restore point.

all above; only important

I've done this over 19 years. With every operating system. Every system recovery disk utility is useless. If that machine ever asked you if you can load a disk to recover from it's asking for the system recovery image. Most likely Today. Before the oh windows decided to install an update and created this, here. 

And, yes sir. All the other options are what the other techs do for 9 hours a day.

option a, reload the entire system image

option b, just do a fresh install

option c, just find someone else's image on the internet illegally to replace missing files

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.