Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
17-e103nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The laptop was running fine, but left unattended for several days. It came unplugged and the battery drained. When rebooting it, it went to the Recovery options. I went to a command prompt and it went to X:\. Chkdsk would not complete, recovery would not complete, restore to factory settings would not complete ... as if the hard drive is damaged. I do not see any option on HP.com to buy a recovery kit for this model. What should I do? Thank you, Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @tonymcc2,

Good Day! 🙂  Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! 🙂 Hope you are doing well. 🙂 I reviewed the post and understand that you require assistance regarding  boot issues and ordering recovery media. I’ll be really glad to assist you. 🙂

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 It is always a genuine pleasure to work with customers that display great levels of technical expertise and skills. You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. It is a privilege to serve you. 🙂

For better clarity, we need to isolate the issue correctly to being hardware or software related.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @tonymcc2,

Good Day! 🙂  Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! 🙂 Hope you are doing well. 🙂 I reviewed the post and understand that you require assistance regarding  boot issues and ordering recovery media. I’ll be really glad to assist you. 🙂

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 It is always a genuine pleasure to work with customers that display great levels of technical expertise and skills. You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. It is a privilege to serve you. 🙂

For better clarity, we need to isolate the issue correctly to being hardware or software related.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much! The hard disk tests fail. I'm considering buying a new hard drive and a recovery kit. Will the recovery kit install correctly with a different hard drive from OEM?

Thank you again ... and Merry Christmas!

Tony

HP Recommended

@tonymcc2

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

Merry Christmas to you too,

The OEM is designed to work only on factory defaults, so ensure you're getting a hard drive that has the same size and transfer speed as the original, otherwise it may or may not work.

If it doesn't work, you can always install a retail version of the windows with the hard drive size/speed of your preference.

I hope that answers the question.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you again for your response. Well, I don't want to purchase Windows ... that's sort of the reason for the $45 "Recovery Kit." The hard drive has failed. It's 1TB, I'm pretty sure, but how can I confirm the transfer speed? Is this info written on the physical hard drive itself?

Thank you,

Tony

HP Recommended

@tonymcc2

Thank you for replying,

You are right, the hard drive contains the information on a bar coded sticker,

You may also find the details on the product specifications page by Clicking here and entering your product number.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @onymcc2,

I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with a customer that has displayed great credentials as a technician. The copious troubleshooting and investigations performed by you could have turned even Sherlock Holmes green with Envy! 🙂 Fantastic effort. Kudos to a job very well done. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.