Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv7 Notebook PC C2H79UA#ABL
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Heres the back story: My HP  was acting strange and I tried to do a factory restore. I did manage to back up my files onto a USB thru F11.  The laptop wouldnt restore from the recovery partition, it kept giving me error code 0xc000000f. I tried my recovery disks that I had created prior to upgrading to windows 10 and it would fail on disk 3. I did a fresh install of windows 10 from Microsoft, but now when I try to run the exe file to recover my files I get the "Error code=FFFFFF15". I read on this forum that the error is because I have windows 10 installed which doesnt support HP recovery manager.  My old windows 8 OS is not available on HPs site, my recovery media does not work, the partition is now gone since I did the clean install of windows 10. I called the # on HP's site for US & Canada customers to request the recovery media for a fee and they said because I live in Canada they cannot send it to me. That if I can find someone in the US to register my computer they can send it to them and then they can send it to me. This is how they support their customers? Once I recovered my files, I was looking at buying a new computer, Im rethinking 

TLDR: HP customer support wont send me the old windows 8 recovery media because I live in Canada. Pls help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to order the W8 recovery media from this non-HP vendor at the link below.

They will probably charge you a little more to ship to Canada.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-23010-windows-8-64-bit-dual-language-recovery-kit-709686-db1-for-h...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to order the W8 recovery media from this non-HP vendor at the link below.

They will probably charge you a little more to ship to Canada.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-23010-windows-8-64-bit-dual-language-recovery-kit-709686-db1-for-h...

HP Recommended

I just wish I had known before backing up my data that it would be encrypted and would require the blood of a unicorn's first born to get it back!

A fee is totally better than losing all my data, I am looking at that website now.

Thank you for your suggestion. 🙂 I really appreciate it.

I have always been a strong supporter of HP, so far this is my 4th HP computer, but if this is how they treat their Canadian customers.... 

I thank you again! 

cheers,

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Backup images are OK, but I also double down and just copy and paste the file folders (documents, pictures, favorites, downloads, etc) inside my user profile to a portable hard drive.

That way I don't run into the dilemma you have run into.

Then I just copy and paste the folders back to my new user profile on a new installation of Windows.

I don't work for or represent HP, but I agree that they should have something in place to provide better support to Canadian customers.

It should be no big deal to set up a recovery disk ordering page for the models sold in Canada, so Canadian customers can enter their mailing addresses.

I could never understand it.

HP Recommended

I have successfully placed my order! Thank you again 🙂

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You may want to submit your concerns regarding (lack of) support for HP's Canadian customers to the HP executive team at the link below.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

HP Recommended

Done and done 🙂

I think that they need to hire you ASAP! Best customer service I have gotten so far! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.