Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 255 G1 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My HP 255 G1 Notebook has not been funtional for the past 2 weeks or so now. At first I thought it was a virus, so I took it down to a computer repair shop hoping that they would scrub my system and get rid of the virus. I now know that it is not a virus but an error with windows 10. My laptop is originally a windows 8 computer but I then upgraded to windows 10. I have no access to the computer at all. I turn it on, the hp loading screen comes up and then a blue screen stating the code 'UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME' which I have now learnt is a problem to do with windows 10 flashes on the screen before restarting continuously. I've seen a youtube tutorial saying that a message saying 'Preparing Automatic Repair' should come up and then a second message saying 'Diagnosing your PC' should come up followed by a screen allowing you to click on advanced options. Only the first message comes up for me and then that's followed by a never ending black screen.

All I really want to know is if I can somehow create a recovery usb without having access to my computer. I'm currently on my other windows 7 laptop but I can't download anything from here. If there's a link I can go onto or anything at all I should know, then please just comment down below. Thank you so much 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Marie246

That error is more likely related to a failing hard drive, than to any generic Win10 problem.

If you can, follow these directions to test the hard drive:  Testing a Hard Disk from the BIOS | HP® Customer Support

Regarding a recovery USB, HP does provide recovery media for some PCs, and in some cases, will make a USB stick available instead of the usual set of DVDs -- but you have to contact HP Customer Support to see if that is available for your specific PC model.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1
If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Marie246

That error is more likely related to a failing hard drive, than to any generic Win10 problem.

If you can, follow these directions to test the hard drive:  Testing a Hard Disk from the BIOS | HP® Customer Support

Regarding a recovery USB, HP does provide recovery media for some PCs, and in some cases, will make a USB stick available instead of the usual set of DVDs -- but you have to contact HP Customer Support to see if that is available for your specific PC model.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1
If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks that really helped a lot 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.